This year my son has developed a very dry skin. His shoulders and back feels bumpy like a basketball. His doctor says that its exzema and the only thing I have to do is to apply lots of Aveno lotion after each bath. Has anybody seen or experienced something like this in her child?

My son had is 5th B'day on September. This condition started around Spring. It was so dry on his throat, cheeks, shoulders, back, arms, back of his legs. Almost everywhere. Once I start bathing him with Aveno Bath and applying the lotion it has been improving a lot, but not totally. If I skept one or two days it starts to take over again.

CACHARRA

Asked by CACHARRA at 8:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes, you have to do it consistantly or it will come back. i use the aveno bath, but for the lotion i prefer cetaphil. imo it absorbs better and clears it up faster. you do have to do it everynight and especially in the winter when the air is dryer.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son has it. I just sent you a message and friend invite :-) It helped A LOT with my son!!!

~Alyssa
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com
    www.sandamaliska.blogspot.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 9:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• both of my children and i also have eczema. We use aquaphor or eucerine cream...it is pretty greasy but works very well. He should also take luke warm baths since hot water can dry out your skin. If it starts to get harder to keep under control you can do baths every other day when possible (I know how boys are though). As long as the lotions are working I would stick with them but if you want to try something new try the aquaphor...pat dry after a bath and apply the aquaphor to the damp skin to hold in the moisture.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I use Aquaphor for my sons Ezcema.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My grandbaby had this problem.Best thing to use is 100% cocoa butter it worked for her.
    ayneka

Answer by ayneka at 9:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Thanks so much to this big family that is CafeMom. You girls, made me feel better. I had never seen that skin condition bcz before our son we never had contact with children. It does not show really bad but I don't like to feel his skin so dry. Does anybody knows if it gets better as he gets older? He just celebrated his 5th birthday.
    CACHARRA

Comment by CACHARRA (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My son gets little bumps like that on the backs of his arms we use baby oil in the bathtub and that seems to help plus it is easier than dealing with lotion every day.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• get him allergy tested. it could be a form of contact dermatitis, in which case, why not avoid the culprit rather than constantly applying a healing lotion?
    it could be a dietary reaction too. again, find the culprit if you can!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Could be a food allergy or sensitivity. A good quality shea butter that is petroleum free would work better than aveeno.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010