i didn't get many responses before...my oldest is starting cub scouts

a requirement for the first badge is that we review some protection against child molestation items.
i am supposed to present to my son scenarios and ask what would you do...
there are things like what would you do if your babysitter put you on her lap to read you a story and showed you pictures of naked people...and what if you went to your friends house and his older brother and his friends wanted you to join a club, but the initiation would be to wrestle naked...
i find these way to explicit. am i being naive? are these common scenarios? can't i just say no one should see or touch your privates? what do you think?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• well i think it's better to give specific examples since not all molestation is about touching privates. and there have been some problems in the past with the boy scouts and boys being molested, so imo it's a good idea. being vague would leave alot of room for error and confusion.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You are being naive. Little boys (and girls) are being molested at very young ages and the kids need to know what is ok and what isn't ok. NO you cannot just say no one can see or touch your privates because some don't do that, they just show inappropriate pictures or say inappropriate things. Also, most molestation is committed by people that know the kids, people that they trust...you know Scout leaders, clergy, uncles, etc. We need to educate our children and teach them on who to tell and what is ok and what isn't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• What? I'm really speechless that the cub scouts presented this.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Unfortunately, you are being naive. :( You have to prepare your son for all scenarios because it is not just about good touch bad touch anymore.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I agree with educating our children but I think it should be on the parents terms, not on what the cub scouts think it should be and furthermore, not a requirement for a badge.
    travzmom

Answer by travzmom at 9:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• A liile much to say the least. We taught our DS that his private areas are anything that is covered by his swimming suit(this works for girls too) and that if anyone does anything that makes him feel "funny inside" or wrong he needs to tell us. We taught him that it is never his job to help an adult, lost puppy etc., that it is his job to get Mom or Dad so we can help. That took away the guilt feeling about needing to help, but kepts him safe. Another good one is that if you see a friend pick up a gun it is not their job to take the gun away, it's their job to run outside and yell," There's a gun!" until an adult comes. This keep your kid from being a target. Maybe these senarios will help to get his badge without exposing him to so much.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 9:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I read through it with my son at 6. It's a good thing to know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:33 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I'm almost speechless! I can't believe that this world is coming to this and that our kids have to know details about such things. I agree that you need to teach your son some molestation avoidance BUT does it have to be so graphic? I'm with YOU on this one. I don't think you're being too naive. I think that making these kids afraid of their own shadows is a form of abuse in itself. I can definitely speak from experience (being a molested child myself)... There is NO WAY that you can possibly cover every scenario of a molestation situation. It seems like if you go into such detail as they want you to give, you'd need to cover every potentially dangerous situation. Can't it just be ok to tell your son not to allow anyone to do anything to him that he's uncomfortable with? Or to show him pictures of things that he knows he shouldn't be looking at? IDK.... Just my opinion. I'm all about protecting the innocence.
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 10:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• do it...someone i know was victimized at 5 years old by a friend and his 10 year old brother..luckily he knew well enough how to respond but only out of luck because he wasn't talked to about it.
    kstn415

Answer by kstn415 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I knew about sex before I started kindergarden cause my mother knew the real dangers out there. So I'm not shocked if they want you to do this.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010