Was I really the only one told to wake my babie sup every 3-4 hours at night so their blood sugar wouldn't drop?

I was told to wake them up every 3-4 hours because their blood sugar could drop causing them to not wake up when they were hungry but causing them to sleep to long and not wake up until they were painfully hungry. I was told to do this until they were 5 weeks and 10 pounds. I admit I streaked it to 5 hours when they were getting close but it never caused them to get on that schedule once they were 10 pounds they slept for 6-7 hours straight no problem. I know it's not a magic weight but it does make sense to me that their metabolism would not be fully developed, I mean they say the digestive track isn't developed at birth... I dunno . Guess I'm crazy! lol. Just wondered!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, you weren't. A newborn shouldn't sleep through the night until after 3-5 weeks. A BF has trouble latching on if they are really hungry so, that makes sense.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yeap. Never heard that and I am friends with 2 doctors.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• nobody ever said anything like that to me. i nursed on demand and the first 2 kids were 2 hours like clockwork. the third one slept 4 hours as a newborn and by a month she was sleeping 6+ hours. she was off the charts for growth a while, so i don't think that is true.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My doctor's did not tell me that, but that could be because my son was born weighing 11 lbs and 10 oz.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• with all 3 of my kids i was told "never wake a sleeping baby unless its gone past 6 hours". all of mine sleep through the night on their own and my youngest is 8 months. however, my friend said they told her to wake her baby up every 3-4 hours so i guess it depends on the doctor and on the baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I never heard that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I was always told to wake them and feed them at first.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would never wake up a sleeping baby ubless they were going on 5 or 6 hours without waking up.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• lol I never did that. But my kids slept with me and nursed pretty much every 2 hours for 3/4 months.
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 9:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yeah, our doctors always supported the "don't wake a sleeping baby" ideal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010