PKU Test-Freaked Out!

My daugther had her PKU test right after I had her and everything was fine. We scheduled her two week well visit but totally forgot and missed it. We tried to reschedule it right away but they claimed they had no openings until two weeks later which would put her at four weeks old and they said that was fine. So I get to her two week check up (she is four weeks mind you) and the doctor (we are brand new to this practice) said that I should have had her in earlier b/c of the PKU test and she could be mentally retarded if they don't catch this right away and the front desk should have squeezed us in right at two weeks, etc. So they did her PKU test but now I totally freaked out! Why did the doctor have to put it that way? She seemed overly concerned and made me feel so bad. I did try to get another appt asap but front desk said there wasn't one available. Has anyone else ever done this? Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't think they checked PKU at the second checkup, only in the hospital. Did you bring the records from the hospital to the doctor? maybe they lost something.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• no they saw that we did the PKU at the hospital. She even mentioned that the baby had it done then. I am just terrified and feel guilty now. The darned results wont be back for weeks they said! ahhh. lol
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 9:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Weeks? really? it's a simple test.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yeah that was my reaction too. The hospital did it right away. they claim they have to mail it out and have the lab process it and mail it back...mail? thought this was 2010. lol something doesn't seem right with it so I may call back and ask them again.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 9:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Okay...I have a 2 week old newborn...What is a PKU test? I've never heard of it.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 10:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• They only do it in the hospital and they would get results right away. Sounds like your doctor is trying to scare you for missing an appointment... Time to FIRE HER!

And the PKU test is a test for a rare metabolic disorder. Babies with PKU have to be on a special diet (for life, I believe) or it can cause serious harm to them. They typically test for PKU and lactose intolerance, and a couple other things... I think.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It is a heel prick test they do on newborns. I am sure yours had one int the hospital. It is some kind of rare genetic disorder that can lead to brain damage/mental retartdation if left untreated. Google it b/c it's kinda hard to explain.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 10:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Its a heel prick test they do on newborns. Once in the hospital and once when they are out. I cant remember if its 1 week or 2, but i remember taking my son for it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My child has PKU. It is very important that the 2nd test gets preformed right away. Yes, it can cause mental retardation. The phe ( , ,phenylalanine an amino acid that is found in protein builds up in the brain and attacks the brain which causes the mental retardationdevelopmental delays and other problems. 

browneyebetty

Answer by browneyebetty at 6:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2010