Why do so many of us have to wear glasses?

Is it a genetic thing that our eyes are going bad at earlier ages? I've had mine 25 years. Got them at 13.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it's partly hereditary. It's actually how the curvature of your eye grows. My Mom has always worn glasses but my sisters don't. I needed to wear glasses by High School but I was too vain and even took drivers ed without wearing them. I have no idea how I passed. That was it. Once I got my license I needed them full time and have worn them for 25 years. I tried contacts but I was too grossed out to stick my finger in my eye. This summer I got a really bad floater and a near retinal tear and now I have a gooey glob in my left eye that blocks my vision. Nothing can be done for it. Having bad eyes really sucks! But! My DH says I look smarter with glasses on. LOL! Is that a compliment??

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• lol, i got mine way earlier than you! i was in grade school.... probably 2nd grade. both of my parents had really bad vision
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i got mine in the 8th grade..same year i got my period. no wonder i hated jr high.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't know! When I was like 13 I found some lost glasses and wore them Thought that was so fun!! Then I needed glasses! How I hated them! A hit in gym class and broke my Glasses Ow. A mean brother that hit me and broke my glasses Ow! Then being jobless and needing my old scratchy 8 year old ones! Ugly. I don't know why we need them. How are contact lenses for you? Best of luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I have been wearing glasses forever. My DS got his at age 6. We got new glasses a few wks ago and Sam, he's 6, wanted some to because we got some. I'm not sure if its genetic...probably.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 10:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I've had to wear glasses since I was 5. From what I know it can be hereditary. Both my mom and grandma on that side wear/wore glasses. Whether or not I actually wear them is a different question. I have near 20/20 vision in my right eye, and am nearly legally blind in the other due to a lazy eye that was never corrected as a child. The glasses aren't much help obviously, but they do clear my vision up some and I think they look cool :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Age?
    Poor eye sight?

I don't know though. My mom wears glasses, I don't, but my son does. Interesting question when I think about it.

Yes, I have had my eyes checked.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I've had to wear glasses or contacts since 3rd grade. My dad has to wear glasses, and my mom had to start wearing reading glasses earlier than some. Everything I've heard is it's hereditary.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i wear glasses.. i hate them!! i was supposed to be wearing them throughout high school but i didnt like them.. but once i got a job and started driving i've had to wear them ever since..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• LOL ILove...I know what you mean. People say "I love your glasses, they make you look smart." What, I look like a dumbass the rest of the time? LMAO I usually wear contacts, though. But some days I just can't stick my finger in my eye and need a break. I started wearing contacts in the 6th grade, but got boobs in the 4th grade. Those were miserable years, lemme tell ya. LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010