Co-Sleeping in the Bed?

My newborn lately is having a very hard time going to sleep. I have her in a sidecar in our room but as soon as you put her in it she wakes up. Sometimes I put her in the bed with me once my husband leaves for work but I hate doing this b/c I am afraid of her smothering etc. I could sleep a lot more if I let her cosleep in the bed at night too. Does anyone else do this or going thru something like this? If I do decide to cosleep in bed how can I do it the safest way possible? BTW I am nursing so this would be much easier too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I co-slept. I just put him in with me.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I did. You want to chat about it, PM me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my oldest was very sick as a newborn and slept with me some nights for the first couple of months. i put her next to me in the boppy pillow, she had to be propped up so she could breathe. she wasnt able to roll over obviously at her age. then with my youngest, i was exhausted in the first few weeks of her arrival from her and from my other two, so out of laziness i put her to bed with me so i could sleep and have energy the next day to take care of my kids. i didnt put her in the boppy though because she didn't have health problems. i, however, am a very light sleeper and always have been, and my bed is queen size so plenty of space. thats just my advice but there are lots of moms on here who co-sleep and probably have better techniques for you. good luck
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I was always afraid to co-sleep. My DD was an awful sleeper!! I was so afraid to co-sleep though! I would sit halfway up in the bed at night and let her sleep on my chest between her 5 ish and 8 ish feedings. Some nights I did it more.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• it is highly unlikely that you will smother your baby unless you are altered in some way by alcohol or drugs...which im sure you arent so dont worry about it so much...try to dress yourself and your baby warmly so that you dont have to use any blankets because they could present a hazard...i see nothing wrong with co-sleeping except for the looming prospect of breaking the habit later...i would love to sleep with my dd but we end up waking each other up...we dont get quality sleep when we sleep together but we love to take naps and doze...newborns need warmth and comfort...if your baby needs to be beside you to sleep then so be it...you have the rest of her childhood to teach her independence
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I co-sleep with all my kids..Once Im asleep I normally dont move so for the most part I cradled them in my arm and lay on my side..Do what is best for you.
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Hi I am the OP. I guess what scares me most is that she will turn face first into either my chest./shirt or the mattress. Usually she is side laying with me after nursing and each time I try to adjust her to her back it doesn't last. Somehow she gets on her side. I think also b/c I am right next to her putting a dent in the mattress which is allowing her to roll easily to her side. Is that likely to happen?
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 10:10 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• DD slept on my chest for the first 3 weeks. We have a sidecar cosleeper, but she can't stay asleep in it. We sleep with her in the bed. She starts the night on the outside next to the co sleeper, mommy in the middle and daddy on the other side of mommy. Half way through the night I get up to change her and nurse and she gets moved to the middle.

Sometimes she pulls the covers off of everyone. Sometimes she pulls the covers over her head and wiggles down way low in the bed. She is fine. She will be 4 months old later this week. She started "serving herself" milk at 11ish weeks.

Trust me, if the baby does something other than sleep, you'll wake up and fix it. They don't smother themselves.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i always try to make sure my dd's arm is laying over her belly...so if im on my left side then the upper part of her right arm is against me but her forearm is across her belly/chest....makes it harder for her to roll towards me.... also it would be very difficult to co-sleep in a super cushy mattress...maybe your bed needs to be firmer..? are you swaddling her? i wouldn't. that can make it easier for her to roll too...
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Ecodani-I have heard of babies self serving. How does that work exactly? It is pitch black in our room so how would she see and know how to latch on? My daughter s 4 weeks old, is she too young for co-sleeping?

Mamagee1218-we have a pillow top mattress so it's in the middle of mushy and firm. We don't swaddle her but maybe u r right about the mattress being too soft. It doens't feel too soft but maybe for this purpose it is. If I could just get her to lay flat on her back it would prob be fine.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 10:41 PM on Sep. 23, 2010