Do your teens try to make plans during school for after school that day?

I have a rule in my household that if you can't plan something the night before or remember to let me know or ask before school that day then the answer will be NO. Or at least the majority of the time it is no, I realize there are those moments when planning ahead just wasn't a possibility but those occasions should be extremely rare!!

This actually can be a very hard concept for some teens. My DD (15) especially.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Good for you!! That was the rule for me and is the rule for her.
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• We have the same rules we lived by as kids, Sunday- Thursday are school nights, therefore you stay home. No running around, etc.. Friday and Saturday nights are fine as long as there's notice as to what's going on, and there's an adult present. We have a 14 yr old son, and he's not allowed to go out with friends without adult supervision until he's 16. If you don't teach them to live by boundaries now, how do you expect them to grow up and learn to live by them, and set them as adults.. It confuses me when parents just let their teens run around on their own, and then wonder why they get into trouble. They aren't adults, they can't make adult decisions.....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• This will really date me, I guess, but our teenagers did not make plans without first consulting their parents. Plans had to be pre-approved by us before any were made.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yes, it does happen. I would be ok with it, as long as my child called or texted me and ASKED me first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, how annoying. WHY can't they remember to do that??????????????
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:50 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have a 24 hour rule...and only one of my 4 teens remember that rule. i end up saying no a lot.

Now if they are asking about staying after school to do some homework...fine. Or they get home and want to run over to so and so's house for an hour I will usually allow it. Anything bigger then that has to be cleared with me first.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• yes,that is kind of the rule here.It depends a bit .My 8th grader would forget to check with friends about girls volley ball on Wed.He called twice at lunch to ask and I let him with a strong reminder.This week he asked on Tues so he got it down.It depends on the situation.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Im sure she will try.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:54 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My daughter makes plans during the day to hang out with her friends after school. If she wants to do something she just asks me.
    russianitk

Answer by russianitk at 9:56 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I guess I am easy. My children are welcome to make plans and ask me anytime they want. I may say No anytime I want.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 25, 2010