Can anxiety cause chest pain and shortness of breath for 2 straight months??

For 2 months now I've been feeling like I can't get a full breath (I know that I'm getting enought oxygen because it's been checked but I can't get a full satisfying breath) and I have chest pain between my breast and on the left side near my collar bone.

I've been to several doctors. All of them keep telling me it's probably anxiety. This last one is sending me to a cardiologist but that's not until next week.

I've taken the anxiety meds and they do not help. I've had an EKG, full blood work up and a chest x-ray. Everything comes back normal.

I have been under stress but can stress cause CONSTANT shortness of breath and chest pains for 2 months????

I was kind of under the impression that anxiety attacks come and go...not stick around for months at a time.

Anyone been through this? Any insight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• as far as i know..yes it can.. maybe talk to your dr... good luck
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yep sure can. When I left my ex it was like the elephant who had been sitting on my chest finally got up. I hadn't taken a good deep breath in years.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:01 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It most definately can.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:02 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• stress can kill you. do not take this lightly. if there is nothing that you can do to change the things that are contributing to your anxiety, then you MUST change how you deal with them. try yoga, meditation or an intense workout. if a therapist will help, then find one. i wish you the best of health!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yes
    ruthromano

Answer by ruthromano at 10:04 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I am glad you are going to see a Cardiologist ....if he finds something you can be easily treated, but I bet he will say it IS stress.And then when you find out you are fine, that will help you relax. I bet the symptoms will fade away as soon as you find out there is nothing wrong. Good luck!!! :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, it can and you need to find out what is causing the anxiety and how to control it. Also, you could have asthma or another problem. If anxiety meds are not working then go to a counselor to help you find behavioral ways to control the anxiety.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Yes, it can. It's a good thing to have the medical work-up you are getting to rule out other causes.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I've had similar problems in the past. Try something like Pepcid AC, Tagamet or Zantac. Sometimes these symptoms can be related to your stomach. Acid reflux. It could be as simple as that. Try it and see if it helps.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i think it can
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2010