Baby suddenly waking ALL NIGHT!

My 4 1/2 month old who it seemed at three months was just learning how to sleep through the night, has recently become a horrible sleeper, worse than when he was a newborn. I put him in his crib, he is awake with in 5-10 minutes, wanting to be held. I go to him, calm him back to sleep, wait for him to be in a deep sleep, put him down again, and within minutes he is awake, screaming his head off for mommy. I put him in my bed, lay down with him, he CLINGS to me, I finally get him to sleep AGAIN, two minutes later he wakes up screaming again. I give him some more milk, pat his back, swaddle him partially (he needs to suck one hand) and finally I get about 40 min to an hours peace. I am not willing to try the cry it out method because I have read the cortisol levels rise too high in baby's blood to be a good thing, and I don't want my baby to be traumatized to sleep. There must be a better way. Cont'd below:

CarriePM

Asked by CarriePM at 10:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It IS just a phase - you are doing great. It is HARD, but he needs you and being close to him is key. Lots of comfort, closeness and reassurance.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 10:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• growth spurt, teething, etc. Sounds pretty normal to me.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It could be because of teething. DD became a horrible sleeper when she started teething... Or it could be an ear infection. And yes it is probably just a phase. Hope you both get some sleep soon.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Has anyone gone through this? If so, PLEASE TELL ME IT IS JUST A PHASE!
    CarriePM

Comment by CarriePM (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Sounds like a growth spurt, probably just waking up hungry, this too shall pass =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The baby may have colic, they cry a lot with it... A LOT
    Patientchild3

Answer by Patientchild3 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• This happens a lot... they are growing and all kinds of things are going on in their little bodies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010