do you let your children look at shows that have drag queens on them? what do you tell them?

i like to watch drag u and rupaul drag race. sometimes the kids take time to notice what i'm looking at (usually they ignore the tv during my tv time). my 5yo son asked me why was that lady so tall? and i said it's not really a lady, it's a man who dresses up as a lady for fun and usually they put on a show with lip sync or tell jokes, etc. so then he started calling them "lady men" .... i think that's so funny. i asked him what would he do if he saw a drag queen in real life. he said well maybe they could sing me a song or something lol. i think it's important to tell your children about all different kinds of people so if they see them in real life they will not be rude. so.... tell me what you do? shelter them or let them see everyone?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have never censored what my son watched (within reason). I have always been open and honest with my son. He is now 14 and a very open minded, big hearted teenager. There are all different kinds of people in this world and the more a child knows, the more accepting they will be.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My kids have watched "To Wong Fu" about a hundred times.
    I generally do not censor things. We have a lot of open and honest discussions in this house. My parents tried to shelter me from everything and I don't think it did me any favors.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I've taken my kids to a gay pride parade with me. I enjoy photography, and do some freelance writing. I figured it was a good time for some hands-on education about acceptance and non-discrimination. My husband was against the idea at first, but eventually got on board and went with me.
    mylifeinscraps

Answer by mylifeinscraps at 11:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• mine's too young to know the difference right now..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Well, if you read any of my posts today..you know I would let mine watch and explain it all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I don't know if my kids have ever seen anything like that. Not due to censorship, just not a big enough deal in my mind I guess to make it a point to remember it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• And Connie and Carla is one of the funniest movies ever! My kids all love it too.
    SleepingBeautee