What would you do if you thought your son was cheating on his girlfriend?

My son i don't think is cheating physically yet on his gf, but he is talking to another girl secretly on his myspace and telling her she thinks she's hot and things like that. He doesn't know that I read the messages but he tells his gf he loves her and all of that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• How old is he? I would talk to him about what it means to be faithful and respectful to women.. NOW, regardless of his age... Remember those men we all hate? You don't want your son to be one of them...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I would sit him down and be honest with him and let him know that what he is doing is inappropriate. How would he feel if that was done to him. If that didn't work then use you for example. How would he feel if someone hurt you like that. And if he is not sure if he wants to keep his girlfriend then he should be honest with her and tell her that he isn't ready . Or he doesn't want to go out with her any more. But don't string her along. Just try to explain to him that it isn't nice to do to someone.
    foxzplf

Answer by foxzplf at 5:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• id stay out of it. its his life, and he has to learn. why are you spying on him anyways? if you dont have a good reason, leave him alone!!!!!!!!!!!!

god, overbearing much?
    Anonymous

• Because I am his parent and at what age are you supposed to let them run their lives any old way they see fit? How does he have to learn? By hurting a young girl? If every boy that hurt a girl by cheating on her learned on their own that that is wrong to do, then why do some men just get a new girl and do it over and over again. How is that overbearing?
    Anonymous

• Exactly, when you are a child living unnder your roof, THERE IS NO PRIVACY!!! Sorry to say. But yes, definitely sit down and let him know that what he's doing is messed up. How it affects a woman, and even the other woman. Explain that that doesn't make him a man, actually the complete opposite. And like others say, ask how he would feel is someone did that to him, or you!
    Anonymous

• i guess i like to let my kids make mistakes and learn from them. and i would never spy unless i had good reason. never just for the hell of it.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 9:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Mama2joshy--- maybe you say that because your kids are babies.
    Anonymous

• if you don't trust your son why let him have a myspace ? I would not spy on my boys unless I had a reason and I have 2 teen boys . I would stay out of it he will never trust you when he finds out you are spying on him
    Anonymous

• OMG I don't know why people are all over you! I agree that you shouldn't be into EVERYTHING he does but you didn't say you were and as a parent with your son still a minor and in your household you have have every right to check on what he does! Not to mention you're doing the right thing and being a very good mom by wanting your son to grow up and be a good person and make the right decisions. I agree with talking to him. Maybe you "accidently" came across his message on Myspace. Like PP said you don't want him to become one of the men we all hate!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree, personally I have a myspace, and my kids are my friends on there. I think you are just a very caring and responsible mom, that just wants your son to grow up and respect woman. I don't see anything wrong with having a talk with your son about the comments he has made. I agree with the above comment. I wish my daughter's bf had a mom like you. He sure could learn a thing or two about how to treat a woman.
    Anonymous