Interracial Dating

I've recently met someone who I like very much and would like to pursue a relationship with. I've never 'dated' anyone outside of my race prior to this. I am white and he is mexican. I'm not racist by any means, but some members of my family are or they just don't agree with interracial dating. My family is very important to me and THAT alone makes me nervous to pursue this relationship. I know that I'm a grown woman and can make my own decisions and I should stand up to my family but I've been in relationships before where there was bad blood between the man and my family and it was VERY difficult for me, I was the only one hurt in the situation. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I was in your shoes before. Everyone in my family is completely against interracial dating/marriage. My family views it like this: if God wanted races to mix, He would have made everyone one race. I disagree. I dated a black guy. I did it kind of secretive to begin with, but then broke the news to everyone. Everyone was shocked, but eventually got over it. All you can do is talk to your family. Just explain to them that you really like the guy, and if they really care about you and want to stay close to you, they will get to know him and accept him. It is one thing not to like him because of how he views things or believes things should be....however, no one should be racist as far as skin color. Just think about it....just because you and your family all "look" white, you are all different shades. Tell them to think of him as a really dark white person with a great accent. good luck ;)
    Sweetie21

Answer by Sweetie21 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I would date who I liked. If it got serious I would pray that my family could respect my choice and learn to love him as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• who the heck is going to bring you your medication when you are 80? Your family or your dh? Not saying you are going to marry the guy, but the concept is the same....its your life, and your happiness, go after what makes you happy. When the family sees that you are happy, unless they are really messed up, they will have to pile on the apple cart. Or they can stay miserable and have no idea why,,,good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• well, technically speaking, mexicans are classified as caucasion..so probelm solved :)
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i would just go for it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• well.. since im not that close to my family.. i would do it anyway lol.. but im really not sure what to tell you.. good luck!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my family is the same way. i would still date the guy if i really liked him. if they have a problem with it it may be a good time for them to realize that they are being racist.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Do what you really really want. I probably would not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I was in your shoes. I am white and now husband is black weve been married for 2 years and been togather 6 years it was really hard for me to break the news to my dad on holidays and stuff it got to where i wasent being invited to stuff with the family it really hurt but i sat down and had a conversation with my dad and told him that i was really in love and then i was preg with our first child i explained it hurt how he was treating me and if he couldnt accept it then i had to stay away. Its really hard but now after six years my dad and my husband go fishing and talk all the time so maybe you just need to have a conversation with them let them know G/L
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i would just tell them to accept me for me and be happy that i am happy. but iv always been like that all my life so when i told them i was marring a black man, they were suprised but not suprised, cos i am gona do wat makes me happy, not them. r they really gona lose their child over something simple as race ? as long as he threats u well and loves u more than anything go with your heart.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 11:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010