Drama with the Ex

My son's father and I have a good co-parenting relationship but sometimes he acts before he thinks which puts me in a bad situation. He recently left his wife of 18mths and moved in with his girlfriend. I can't legally refuse visitation, but I have voiced my concerns in the matter. My 6yo son has now become attached to the girlfriend and her daughter and now it seems that they are experiencing relationship problems. It just makes me want to cry sometimes to think that he doesn't think of how his actions effect his son! I had to clean up the mess when he left his wife and he dropped the bomb on my son and walked away, not leaving any time to answer questions. My son has cried and cried over that situation. Does anyone else go through this type of drama with their ex and how do you handle it? Any suggestions?

travzmom

Asked by travzmom at 10:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• My ex drama is so much different lol but I hope everything works out for you and your little guy.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If my ex were to ever have a girlfriend I would make it very clear to him that I have sole physical custody, and if I feel he's not putting our boys best interests first, the visits will stop until he gets his shit together.

If you have sole custody you have every right to stop the visits until he gets his life straight. Hopping from one relationship to another isn't healthy for your son, and he's not putting him first. I would seriously look into changing the visitation if you can, and tell your ex things will go back to normal when he can put your son first.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• He's too young to understand. Do you have any idea what he told him? I hope he didn't tell him all the details. I hope he kept it simple, it's not fair for a young child to go through that. Tell him that you want to keep your son for a while. Your son doesn't need to see him going in and out of different relationships. He going to need some time to readjust to the new situation.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2010