what the heck is Powdered Mustard lol?

A baked macaroni and cheese recipe calls for Powdered Mustard. What is that? I never heard of it and i doubt they sell it at the normal markets. Can i substitute it for something else? Here is the link, its by Alton Brown
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can buy it at Wal-Mart, lol, I think it's with the spices?
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• yeah, it's right on the spice aisle. it's just what they make regular mustard out of.... powdered mustard and vinegar
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Its a spice. Just look where the spices are, you'll find Mustard. Mustard comes from a seed, so instead of your typical yellow mustard, its ground into powder. Its quite inexpensive too and good to have on hand.
    I have tried a recipe for mac & cheese w/ prepared mustard (which is like your typical french's yellow mustard) and I thought it gave more of a kick than the powdered and I liked it more.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• It is like finely crushed mustard seeds
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010