Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i help my sister with her daughter?

my niece is in the second grade she should be in third by now and now there telling my sister she might stay in second another year she already asked school for help the school physicologist already talk to my niece but cant give ny sister an answer if she has learning problems what can she do.

Answer Question

Asked by littlehailey1 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Take her to her doctor and have him refer her to a learning specialist. Many times teachers and school counselors are not enough. See a specialist and get her the help she needs.

    Answer by momof3josephs at 10:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

  • Instead of the school deciding, she needs to step in and request that she be tested to find out if she does have any learning disabilities. Whether it be, speech, hearing, physical, etc. Things can be done to help her. If they don't do anything, tell her doctor that you have some concerns about her at school and you want to find out what is really wrong. Also, go to the school board if necessary, and stand your ground. I hope you get what you need in order to get things back on track. Good Luck!

    Answer by amessageofhope at 1:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • I agree she needs to see a specialist or have some tests done to see why they would want to do this. My son has speech problems and while he is not as old as your niece he has been getting help and it has made a big improvement, he might actally go to kindergarden on time instead of being held back like I thought last year.

    Answer by countrygirl06 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

  • I agree with all of the posters above

    Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.