How can i get my 2yrs old to learn her numbers and abc trying to get her ready for headstart next year?

Agnesquinndavis

Asked by Agnesquinndavis at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whoa!! A bit too early don't u think?
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• relax!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• repetition. sing the song with her. She'll pick it up quickly. I used to sing the ABC's everywhere and dd could sing it well by 2 1/2. Same with counting...count everything, cars, buttons, whatever. Make up a counting song.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• just make it fun for her. they have alot of really good books at the library depending what she's really into. also i like to do letter of the day where we find things that begin with a certain letter. they like to count everything.. that's something easy to do all the time
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• NEVER too early.
    Practicing with your fingers counting is a good way. You can get those nifty flashcards at the Dollar tree, etc.
    You can also find books with numbers and letters to trace in.
    You can practice writing them with her; showing her how to write them.
    They makes CHEAP magnets to put on the refrigerator with number and ABC's.

These are a few of the things I did with mine.

They can also learn them on T.V. too. Many educational shows out there (wiggles dont count)...
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:47 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• too early? both of my boys knew their abc's and how to count to 10 at least before they were 3 and i wasn't drilling them or beating them over the head with it. that's normal age to learn that stuff imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• No, its not too early. Sing the ABC song,,,kids love songs. Also, make a game of counting on your fingers and having her count yours.Count things all around you and she will love it, and soak it right up. My kids are 7, 3, and 1. My 7 year old could read by age 4, and my 3 year old knows all his letters, numbers, colors, and can add small numbers. I think people don't realize how much kids that young are capable of learning.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Flash cards worked wonders for my daughter. She can count to 20 (but she misses 14 and 15 for some reason lol) and sing her ABCs. Well... could. We've been slacking off since I just had her little brother a month and a half ago. We should start up again.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Two years old is not too young. My 2yr old already knows a bunch of letters and numbers. Leap frog has an alphabet thing that sticks to the refridgerator which my daughter loves. Also reading to your child and pointing things out to her/quizing her when you are out and about is good. Helping her draw them is good. Sing the alphabet a lot.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 10:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Oh, and I made my flash cards myself... just a sharpie some blank, non-lined index cards lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 23, 2010