Classic novels?

I think I want to start reading more "classic novels" but I don't know where to start. I get burnt out easily on long, hard-to-understand books so I want to work up to those.

Know of any great classics that are actually interesting reads?

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 10:46 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I really can't answer with something that's not "boring" because it's honestly a personal preference. I will give you my favorites, though, in case any interest you (some from the 1900s, but I consider them "classics"): Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Grapes of Wrath (took me about 15 pages to get into it, but I LOVED it after that), The Divine Comedy, The Scarlet Letter, 1984, and Fahrenheit 451. I KNOW there are some I'm forgetting lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• have you tried madame bovary or pride and prejudice? they are two of my favorites. madame bovary especially because anything with sex grabs my attention lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, A Separate Peace, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird. All classics, all entertaining.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Jane Austen is easy to read, and isn't too long. I love her. :)
    There are others, but I'm starting to get tired and can't think of them, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i am the opposite of you! if it turns out to be a good book i wan tit to last and last! i like a long book...if only i could read a book again! i am down to magazine articles!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden, and I just finished The House at Riverton. They were both beautiful books to read. Easy to understand, yet very complex. I also Love Kristin Hannah... If you want to start with someone that's easy to read, try Nora Roberts. She writes good books, some kind of predictable, but still very well written, and easy to read.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• There are so many good ones on that list! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Don't forget Mark Twain, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Washington Irving (although he uses big big words) - he wrote the Tales of Sleepy Hollow. Hehehe - that was a fun book about a school teacher reading about ghosts and goblins in a haunted forest. Guess he liked to be scared!
    bryncalyn

Answer by bryncalyn at 8:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• try steinbeck and poe..very different 'style' but both will grab you.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010