What makes a good ob/gyn?

What do I look for in a good ob/gyn? I recently told my General doc I wanted to be referred to an ob that shared my views (attachment parenting, extended nursing and someone who is mr personable). She laughed and said maybe what I need is a nurse practitioner? So what makes a good ob/gyn?

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Health

• Sounds like a midwife would be a better fit for you.......
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I did a Midwife for both of my pregnancies :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• a good ob/gyn will listen to you carefully and not rush you. he or she will address all of your concerns even if they're paranoid lol. they should have experience in dealing with high risk patients just in case you need that so you won't have to switch drs. not all ob/gyn are jerks, but i will warn you i changed drs. 3 times when i was in nj (they were all at the same practice). and here in md i switched drs. 5 times (again they were all in the same practice). it is not impossible to find a dr. who will listen to you and you have the right to refuse to be seen by certain doctors. when i feel that the dr. is blowing me off or rushing me and treating me like an inconvenience i will tell them to straighten up or i will be seeing someone else. it's not impossible. i found a great one in nj and now i found a great one here in md. the best way to find a great dr. is word of mouth from other mothers. gl!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I love my ob/gyn. He really explains things to me, takes the time, and follows my preferences. For example when I told him I wanted a natural childbirth he agreed and even helped me through birth. He gave me different techniques to overcoming the pain and relaxing.

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• A good ob/gyn understands your body and they let you know when you have cancer or if you don't have cancer. They are also on call (which al doctors and nurses are on call) and they can be there within minutes even when you are in labor with your first or second or how ever many kids you have. They are really better then you own dr because some drs are quilfied for devileys of babys and some of them can't perform c-sections if you needed one. And Midwife are the same as drs in some ways they can't perform a c-section they have to have an ob come in and do it for them.
    Mommyoftwo86

Answer by Mommyoftwo86 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• A good O/B is like finding a good man( you know hes out there but where the hell is he ) ...I personally went to 4 before i found the right one and i only went by my gut feeling. It very stressful but know that (he or she) are going to be there for the happiest day for your life and you need to feel comfortable or the baby wont :(... so take your time
    JazzyLuvzJayda

Answer by JazzyLuvzJayda at 11:05 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Someone who makes a good GYN to me is someone compassionate and tries to accommodated to your beliefs and body issues.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:39 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i love my obgyn i wish i could go to him for everything....he listens, makes me feel totally comfortable and not weird, is caring, understanding and has 26 years of experience lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• one that will communicate with you and listen to you...
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It will probably be very hard to find an OB that shares those views simply because of the ACOG and AAP recommendations on such things. It sounds like what you are looking for is an experienced homebirth midwife. It would be worth it to learn more about it and to interview a few different midwives and just see what you think.
    squish

Answer by squish at 11:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010