What do you do when your 14 yr. old son wants to have sex?

My son has been talking about having sex, I'm not sure about what I should or should not do. I don't want him to, but he is persistant about this. I think it is more of just want to know what it is all about. My husband and I have had the talk with him but still is interested in doing so. Please help!!!! What do I do?

foxzplf

Asked by foxzplf at 4:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would make sure he has protection ! Not saying I would give in but with kids now a days they do it behind your back weather u like it or not .
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• He's going to do it whether you try to stop him or not...you can't be with him 100% of the time. I'd make sure he has protection and that he knows what can happen if he does it without protection.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Well, I didn't have any boys.. but here goes... He is only 14, he is under your roof and your rules.. you are supporting him... He had no right to privacy.... Therefore, you become an obstacle in his life.. You are there with him 24/7... Remember he has no rights as long as he is under your roof!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• He wants to have sex with who? Just anyone? I wouldn't allow him to be alone with any girls at all. He needs some serious education about women.
    Anonymous

• yes you really can stop him. Drive him to school and pick him up from school. Bring him home and don't allow him to go out and hang out. If he wants to be with friends make them come over to your house where you can monitor him. All the while explaining to him what he somehow missed up to this point that sex is not just a casual thing to be done just to check it out.
    Anonymous

• Ok ... you can stop him -- as some of these answers have already told you -- and then he will probably hate you and become angry. You cannot watch your 14 year old son constantly nor, I am sure, do you really want to. Talk to him about the consequences and make sure he knows to always use protection. Explain to him that it's not okay to just have sex with anyone and that it's not safe either. Tell him that he should always respect a girl and shouldn't do anything that she doesn't want to do. Tell him that sex is for a girl that he really cares about and not just some random chick. Be supportive while still letting him know that you don't like the idea.
    LindseyRS1988

Answer by LindseyRS1988 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I know that I can't be with him 100% of the time, and my husband and I have talked to him about the consequences. But he is consistent that he wants to do this. And he does have a girlfriend. He hasn't been with her long. I think maybe he is wanting to just try it to see what all the talk is about. But it still doesn't make it right. We have explained every thing to him including all the diseases. We have already given him condoms. But we have also told him this is not us giving you permission but just in case.
    foxzplf

Answer by foxzplf at 5:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• OK, alot of these ladies is like o well give him a condom. NO NO NO!!...Basically ya'll need an in depth talk, because he's talkin about casual sex, which is not cool. You need to explain to him, the responsibility that comes with sex, and the emotions that most women accompany with sex, especially at that age. I was shown 2 movies that I watched with my mom (dad couldn't take it). They were lifetime movies (real good!) and were shown ACTUAL PICS of diseases and the stats on it. I also was taken and talked to Young Teen Mothers, and Teen Fathers, and volunteered at health clinic. All of this was done in a week. lol...I also was made to join a hobby and whatnot. It saved me, and I was thankful. So try those things.
    Anonymous

• Kids are going to have sex if they want to as it is too easy to not get caught. Teach him that if he gets a girl pregnant he better be prepared for paying support, raising a kid, and never having a life! Show him "The Miracle of Life" PBS movie about giving birth (gross him out) LOL! Just kidding. Seriously though, tell the kid about STD's, girls lying about being on the pill, etc. Scare tactics. Show him on the internet what men with STD's look like (another grosser outer). But make it very clear that you as parents will not support him or a baby and he is on his own if he knocks a girl up.
    Anonymous

• Read with him "Sex has a price tag" by Pam Stencil.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2008