Cell Phone? What age?

My 6yo son keeps asking me for a cell phone. My answer is, not until you're 16. His dad's answer is 10. With all the "sexting" and crap going on these days, I don't feel that my son should have a phone until he's old enough to go places on his own, then he'll need one for emergencies. His dad says that he'll need one sooner because of all of his extra-cirricular activities, he'll need to be able to call us when he's done. Does your child have a cell phone? Why / why not?

travzmom

Asked by travzmom at 11:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have a 14, 8 and 7 yr old boys, and NONE if them will have a cell phone until they are 16 and have a JOB to help pay for it.... They aren't allowed to be anywhere there isn't an adult present, like myself of another parent they know, so no need for a phone. We live in the country so no worries about them being out on their bikes in town.. It's too far away. So 16 is a good age, with being driving age, and having a part time job, they will have a need for one.. But there will be huge restrictions on it then too...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My two 10 and 8, do not have a NEED for cell phones. So, I guess my answer is when there's a need...
    mylifeinscraps

Answer by mylifeinscraps at 11:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• DS,11, just got one, because we decided he needed one. He was going on a trip to Florida with friends of the family and we wanted to be able to reach him. The added benefit is when he goes off with friends in the neighborhood to play I can call at anytime to check on what he's up to and when I need him home it's easy. We got him a pay as you go phone, so he can't go over minutes and end up with a huge bill and because if he should loose it we will not have to worry so much. When we gave it to him we sat down and discussed all of the responsibility he was going to have and what he was and wasn't allowed to do with the phone... No texting
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my answer is when they can pay for their own cell phone. when they're old enough for a job then they'll be old enough to have a cell phone.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• i think 10 is a good age for a cell phone especially if they are in activities, or with friends or family/cousins. i want my kids to have a cell phone when ever they are going to be without me. cell phones save lives, emergencies and kidnappings and things like that and just the comfort of knowing you can get in tough with your child whenever you want or need too, and the same back for them. i really wouldnt be worried about sexting. especially not at 10 years old, i wouldnt worry about that until the kids like 16. i got my first cell phone at 12 but that was because thats when they first came out, i got my first pager at 10.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My 10 & 12 yr old share a phone for when they are out riding their bikes or have a game after school (they are in middle school.) It does not belong to either one of them, though I know that within a year or so it will become DD's. She is way more into talking to her friends in general. But it sits on the kitchen counter for 90% of the time.

I think it is when there is a need for it. Last summer they were out riding and DD got pretty hurt. Luckily it was right by the police station and they bandaged her up nicely. I would have like to have known about it asap, not 45 minutes after the fact.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I dont agree with cell phones until kids are mobile on their own meaning driving..where at times they may need a phone for emergencies..my sd 13 has a fit for one but she can wait...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• my dd got her cell phone when she was 10. It wasn't really planned, but has workred out to our advantage. She had it for emergencies only because we did not (still don't) have a house phone. She is very good about not answering #'s she doesn't know & is very careful with texting too. I think the appropriate age is an individual choice - you're the one that knows best what your child needs & can handle.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 1:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 15
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• when they have a job & can pay for it themselves
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2010