Is Church the way to go these days?

I would consider myself a "lost soul." I was raised Baptist but, I stopped going to church when I was 16. Well, it dwindled really. My children are not baptised and I am not ready to do that sort of thing, until they are old enough to decide themselves. My daughter attends a Private Christian PRE-K b.c it was right for us, even though we do not attend a church (any of us)...I got this post card type deal in the mail yesterday and I kind of feel like 'something' is calling me to go.

Is church the way to go these days to be happy anymore or 'at peace' with yourself? I am content not going. However, I kind of feel like I am missing out on something these days...

CandyHorse

Asked by CandyHorse at 11:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it all depends on how you personally feel. Church can be something that is a very positive experience, but only you can determine if its something you need or desire. The way you seem to feel, I would suggest you give it a try and see what you think. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• The only way to peace is through the Lord.
    Isaiah 9: 6For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
    Romans 15:13Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
    I Cor. 14: 33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
    2 Cor. 13:11Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you
    And many more verses like that! Seek the Lord, find a church that preaches the truth, and grow in Him. He will bring you the peace you desire!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 12:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Church can be awesome. It is a great support for families, and I do feel closer to God and more at peace when I attend a good church. I know my faith has been a rock for me, and my life is awesome because of it. I say you should go...what is the worst that could happen, right?
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 11:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That's a personal decision that every person has to make for themselves, it doesn't matter what others say it matters how you feel about it. I enjoy going to church, it's a peaceful and reflective time, I like the connection I feel with other parishioners. I have a stronger connection to God and I feel more contentment during the week. It's a way of starting each week fresh and new.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Is the church "the thing to do?" I don't think church should be thought of as the trendy thing to do in order to "find peace." Church is both a time to worship God with thanks and praise, and also time to fellowship with other Christians so that you can grow in your faith. If you have an inkling to go, I'd say that is the Holy Spirit calling you back; in which case, I'd follow that inkling and go. But don't do it because it is "the thing to do." Do it because you long for your relationship with God to be restored.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my personal opinion is that it is important to listen to your gut feelings. if that postcard triggered something within you, then follow it. just showing up doesn't mean you are making a lifetime commitment - you get some time to feel it out and see what that little voice was trying to tell you. i am not a church person myself but there were times i wished i were - i used to work for a church that was a fabulous place of support and community and learning for its members. i can see why it is such an attractive gathering place for people, aside from being spiritually fed if that is your path. just remember it isn't magic and it's full of humans so keep your expectations reasonable. i gotta put in a plug for unitarian universalist churches - many people who dislike "regular church" find uu churches to be exactly what they were looking for.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i think it does help. i tried very hard to find a church when i moved away from my hometown. i couldn't find one that fit me and my family. i still go to the one in my hometown whenever i can and it always makes me feel better and more complete when i do. just wish it was more often though.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• If you feel like you need church, then go. Personally, I don't like them. The ones I have been to left me with a bad taste. They were always (seemed like) concerned with how someone looked/dressed and how much money was given. I actually became closer to God and found peace after leaving the church and Christianity.

It's truly up to the individual.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy not going to any kind of church. I am one of them.
    However, for you, it sounds like something is pulling you to this church (or any church) so I would suggest you go and just see how it fits.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would say that the Mosque is the way to go but a church would be a good start and better than nothing.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 12:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2010