500 hundred dollar donation to adopt a dog.

I've never adopted a dog but that's pretty steep. I want to save a dog but truthfully I know so many people who breed that are willing to give me one for less. Do you guys know any affordable shelters in NJ or PA. Surrounding area codes 07039 & 18042. Really want a puppyand would really rather save a life but like I said I can get a pup for less.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Pets

• just go to the spca or aspca in your area. look in the phone book or online to find out their location.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Wow, that's steep. Here adoptions don't run any more than about $50 - $100, and that includes having them fixed and all. You can usually find dogs cheaper in the paper if there are no reasonably priced shelters nearby. There are so many listed as free to a good home by people who can't keep their pet for some reason....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Any humane society will adopt a dog out for about $400 or more less than that.
    peanut081981

Answer by peanut081981 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• You can also look on PetFinder.com. It's not breeders, they are all mostly rescues and can only be posted on the site by rescue groups.

500 is way too expensive for a rescue/adoption. I work in dog rescue and work with our local no kill shelter, and we charge $25 for an adoption - which includes shots updated, a rabies shot, and spaying/neutering.

Those people are just trying to rip you off.
    Vashtiruescode3

Answer by Vashtiruescode3 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That's what I thought. The place is called S&L I think in eithe phillipsburg or easton pa. 350 for dogs of all ages. Plus once you add on all the extra its like 500. To adopt. I think its crazy. I thought the whole point of the shelter is to save a dog. I find it funny how they call it a donation though.
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• idk about up there but in alabama it's only 115.. if you lived closer i have a cute little puppy i'm trying to find a home for
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• puppyAnother great puppy site is puppyfind.com.

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'd go with Petfinder.com.

Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I know that the humane society in Altoona, PA changes like 200 or less. Most shelters won't charge more than that. They only charge to recoup on vet bills and neutering or spaying costs. Now I know that some shelters like the Last Chance Highway change about 500 but that covers the transportation costs of bringing the animals from the South to the Northeast. I can understand that.

Otherwise, if I'm going to spend 500, I'll be getting a pure breed from the breeder. (My two dogs cost 1150 together, Pembroke Welsh Corgis...I would pay it again. Awesome dogs)
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:07 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Is the rescue you are looking at a purebred rescue? That is the only thing I can think of as to why the adoption fee is so high. Granted I think that is a bit much but many of the purebred rescues are a little more then the regular rescues.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2010