How do I get my 6 year old DS to...

enjoy reading? My 8 year old DD loves it and does well. My son on the other hand puts up a fight except for the day we had Muffins for Mom at their school and he was all about trying to read his book to me. At home it is a battle (same with his spelling words!!!) and I do not want him to hate reading at all. How can I make it fun for him? How can I get him excited about reading? We have books on everything from sharks to cars to adventure stories. A wide selection. I am so worried about this.

Mamaford2

Asked by Mamaford2 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• oh my, im sooo with ya..my 6yr old haaaaaaaates reading!! its a constant struggle/battle with her every night!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I wish he loved it like his sister does. She is so thrilled because I got her the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. It is an easy read for as big as it is. The movie was funny too. I LOVE to read and do so throughout the day in between my fun household chores. I am glad someone else can relate. He is sooooo stubborn about it. He must get it from his father! That is what I think. LOLOLOL
    Mamaford2

Comment by Mamaford2 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Every kid is different I have 4 kids and the only one who hates reading is my 3rd kid..she also had ADD so that might play apart of it. but my son who is almost 6 kinda is starting to like books and he reads road signs so I give him praise every time he does read even a single word
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Read to your son every night and make it a special time just for the two of you. Choose topics that interest him. When your son doesn't want to read his school book, suggest that you each take turns reading a few lines. Praise him for his efforts.( togo90210 has the right idea about praise.) Gradually increase the amount of lines your son reads as you read less and less.

wwwfiledby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/       

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 8:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• another good idea if you can afford it is to maybe take him to the book store and let him choose some books HE says he likes. My sons dont like reading much unless its a subject they enjoy, same with homework. Also, teacher-author had a great idea of taking turns with reading lines or maybe even pages. I do that with my youngest he reads a page then I read one. We often read at bedtime so we do this together then. Good luck.
    MeGirl04049

Answer by MeGirl04049 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Maybe try to find books about things he likes
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• *It's a little early, developmentally. He might not be as ready for it.

*You can read to him daily, instead.

*No pressuring him to like something, a big turn-off.

*Consider another philosophy like Waldorf that teaches the child individually, creatively, the children get to the same place but through different (more lovely!) channels!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2010