Does anyone think this way?

Recently I heard someone make a comment about how Christians can't be liberal, and those of non-Abrahamic faiths can't be conservative. I thought it was ridiculous, but I realized that a lot of people probably do think that way.

What do you think? Do you know anyone who thinks this way?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:23 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Of course they CAN be anything they choose to be. However, I think generally the beliefs which come with Christian/Muslim/Jewish paths tend to lead the followers toward a more conservative view of life... While the beliefs of Pagans, Atheists and the like tend to lead followers toward a more liberal view. Because Abrahamic belief systems come with a rather "strict" belief about things like sex, violence and other subjects (including medicine, science & history) the followers of these paths are being influenced in a more conservative form... While those of us walking a less restrictive religious/spiritual path have a more accepting view of these things and therefore tend to have a more liberal view of the world. But, I have know those who fell in to the minority of "Liberal Christian" and "Conservative Non-Pagan" so yes, it's possible. In fact I think we are finding more and more liberal Christians in more recent years...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I certainly don't believe this to be true. There are those who fit the stereotypes, of course, but stereotypes are often wrong, and certainly don't give the whole story.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't think that way, although I'm sure there are those who do....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Christians can be anything, God gives us all free will.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• never thought that way.

I dont see how liberal or conservative has anything to do with christianity and other religions out there.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:59 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• That is not true at all. Many Hindus are VERY conservative, especially when it comes to their daughters.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I get bored with how everyone has to be either liberal or conservative. I have beliefs that throw me out of both camps.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, that can't possibly be true. That person is saying that no one from other religions can be conservative. That's just laughable.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• well, in my experience, i've found more christians are conservative than liberal. i have met christian liberals, however. it's not like they're not out there. but that's just what i've experienced. it's not like i visited every church in the world...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think NotPanicking is a conservative non-christian... and I do a few liberal Christians...

But they're the exception, not the rule.

It has been my experience that MOST Christians lean to the right and non-christians to the left.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010