Young uneducated mothers

How do you feel about girls becoming mothers at a very early age?

TwannaB.

Asked by TwannaB. at 11:25 PM on Sep. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it's very selfish to think that having a baby is so sweet and wonderful when you can barely take care of yourself at such a young age.. As in young I mean under 18. At 18 you're an adult, not a minor anymore.. We have a teen, and he's not ready to take care of himself much less a baby, so we will keep talking, and keep EDUCATING him about the consequences, and hope he makes good choices when it comes to his life, and future... I think that's where most parents miss the boat, they don't talk to their kids, don't listen to them either. I might be a paranoid Mom, but I want to know what's going on, so I can intercept when needed, and not end up being a Grandma because I didn't do my job as a parent....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• eh.... people were getting married when they were 13 not that long ago in history. do you mean uneducated as in school? because i hate to break it to you, but you can be any age and be uneducated. and if you meant uneducated in motherhood.... well everyone is uneducated with their first. so i guess my answer is i could care less and i try not to judge other people.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think those 2 words don't always go together. It wasn't too long ago that having a baby at 13 was right and normal. I've known girls who have their lives together at 19, and women who are 30 and still all over the place. I think those are 2 different categories.

I would hate to see my daughter pregnant at a young age, but if that happens, then we will have to deal with it.
    I also feel that being uneducated is not just a , "I am in college." or " I'm in med school". There has to be an even balance of book sense and common sense.

But hey, to each her own.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• They're putting themselves at a disadvantage from the beginning. It may not be possible, but a person has to have a deep will to thrive and excel despite whatever obstacle life throws at them, regardless of what it may be.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think it's horrible.... We have a 14 yr old son, and I wouldn't want his life to stop because of becoming a father so young...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:29 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I became a mom at 18 and now have 2 @ 21 I'm happily married and wouldn't trade my life for anything. And I'm by no means uneducated my husband is in pre vet med and I'm in elementary education. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm an unfit mother
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:30 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• My little sister got pregnant at 17, i was so mad, she is the youngest out of 6kids.We expected more from her being tht my older sister got pg at 17 n i was a single mom at 23, i was mad at my mother who refused to believe she wasnt a "virgin" n not being 10 steps ahead n putting her on bc, we did gve her so much advice she even finished school a year early! I think its sad though but hey she chose to have a baby.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I feel for them, since I think it has the potential to make their life more difficult. I'd like kids to have a chance to be kids, without the responsibilities of parenthood. I don't judge them, though.
    drinnian

Answer by drinnian at 11:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• I think it's better than aborting them. And I think it's better than being force to give them up for adoption like they used to do in the 50's and 60's. Their life doesn't stop. I know women who had children at 16 and were great moms and had good jobs. Now they're older but they are still young enough to life to the full.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I know many "young parents" that are amazing!! They are well educated and great parents, better than some "adults" I know. Age does not mean an unfit or bad parent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010