Kids & Cleaning

Do your children help with housework? And I'm not talking cleaning their own rooms. I mean things like sweep the kitchen floor, cleaning the toilet etc. If so, old were they when they started? And what exactly do they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• Mine are 2 and 5 they help me with putting their clothes away getting their toys out of the living room cleaning up their coloring messes. My son who is 5 likes to vacum and occasionally the will help me wipe down the counters.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 5:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Mykal helps with the dishes and vacuums the living room on weekends. During the week he just does his room and he folds his own clothes. We do homework and the like after school and that is more important to me right now. He is 6, he started drying the dishes when he was like 4 or 5. Vacuuming just started about two months ago because no matter how many times I ask him to take his shoes off before he gets on the rug, he runs into the house after school. So now he vacuums up after himself. He has been picking up his dishes and the putting his dirty clothes in the washer for about 3 years. In about a month or two we will reevaluate since he will be 7 then to see if that is what works for us. He doesn't help in the bathroom, but he will sweep the floors and wipe down the table after meals.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Sorry, i just reread that and realized it was crazy scatterbrain talk!! I am normally so much more composed!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• yup my son started at 2 helping he helps with dishes sweeping vaccuming taking the trash out everything he even helps with his own laundry .. he is such a good boy i feel so lucky to have him
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Never too young to start training them. Let them "help" where ever they can.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• More input is appreciated. I wanted to chime in and add that my girls, age 8 & 9, when asked to do their fair share, they look at me like my head is spinning around. I'm tired of being the wicked witch of the west. I was raised in a home were we all pitched in. We each had our own chores, then there was the general list. The general list got rotated weekly. My DH grew up in a home that MIL did it all. He didn't even have to make his own bed. She was not a SAHM either. All this after a full day at the office! I guess the point is that kids learn by example and we, as parents are not being examples.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Oct. 21, 2008