How do I get my 5 year old to stop sucking his thumb???

I have been trying to get him to stop since he started and that was when he was a baby! I dont want to put anything on his thumb since I have read about a woman who is in prison because of it. I have tried taking toys away, talking to him about the damage he is doing to his mouth, asking, pleading, reward and punishment and nothing seems to work. He has already been told he will have to have braces and headgear because of it so I'm just trying to minamize the damage till hes old enough. Please any input would be great.

bhoward87

Asked by bhoward87 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try thumb busters. My brother in law shopped for them with my niece--he showed her and they ordered them together on line. She has a really good success with them She stopped sucking in a week. Amazing results.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• In time he will grow out of it. It's his comfort thing
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• He will grow out of it in time and if he only does it for bed time then it should be fine
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• constant nagging. give him something else to do with his hands. maybe a stress ball
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• This is a very comforting thing and hard to break for you and the child. I have one thumb sucker...she quit when she went to school.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It is his way of comforting himself, it is his security, some kids carry around a special toy or a blanket others suck their thumb. I sucked my thumb until I was 12, my brother and sister sucked their thumbs until they were 15.
    There is nothing wrong with this behavior, and they will quit when they are ready.
    I know for us my father was abusive and it helped me sleep or caused anxiety to go away when he was home. It was simply a way to comfort myself. I quit when a dentist showed me the ugliest teeth I had ever seen, after that I was done. Chewing gum and sucking hard candies helped quit.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thanks for the advise everyone. It wouldnt be such a big deal to me but hes doing it so bad that its changing the shape of his mouth and his teeth are starting to move. He will have to have braces and headgear which I cant do anything about they already said he needed it and its beacause he sucks his thumb. I just feel at a loss cause Ive tried everything from showing him what its doing to his mouth and nagging tons of that. Tried getting him a stuffed animal to hold at night to keep his hands away from his mouth that didnt work. So I may just buy some thumb guards that seems like the only solution....
    bhoward87

Comment by bhoward87 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Sep. 25, 2010