Do you discuss politics with your children?

I have found over the course of the last few months that it doesn't matter which "side" you listen to, eventually any political discussion turns nasty. People cannot accept the fact that others may not agree with them and instead of agreeing to disagree, names get called and lies strewn about, whether about the candidates or about the person(s) having the discussion. I hope that my children grow up to be well-educated and take their civic responsibilities seriously. However, I have found that I subconsciously shelter them from any form of political debate as I don't want this election to negatively impact their views on life and/or government. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. I am homeschooling my 13 year old this year. We built politics into the lesson plan since either way it will be a historical year.

I encourage her to form her own opinions. She picked out 3 topics she felt strongly about and researched the candidates point of views. She decided which candidate best fit her views.
    We also discussed the views that we disagreed on, such as abortion, in a rational manner. She is learning that it is okay to disagree, but it is not okay to bash another person for their views.

I feel it is a great opportunity for her to learn how to form her own views and express them in a non-confrontational way. I'm using it as another way to instill morals and values.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My kids don't understand much of it they are 2 and 5 but we talk to them about it a little bit and they know what the McCain sign in our yard is. DH is army so we just explained that the president is daddys boss.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 5:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• your children don't go to school? if they do you sheltering them is not doing them any good. in school they talk about it. and unfortunately some kids are as hateful as their parents.
    Anonymous

• No, but during the last debate (with the split screen) I told my daughter to point to the one who would be president and she pointed to Obama! LOL
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I talk to my kids about every aspect of the election process. Even the dirt. We discuss why it is wrong and what really matters.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• 3:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    your children don't go to school? if they do you sheltering them is not doing them any good. in school they talk about it. and unfortunately some kids are as hateful as their parents.

Tad presumptuous to assume my children do or do not attend public school, isn't it? The question was "do YOU discuss politics with your children"... not "should I"...
    Anonymous

• My girls are voting at school. They are in 2nd and 3rd grade. If you bring in cans (food drive) you get to vote for your candidate. I like to yell at the TV, lol, yes I am one of THOSE people! So they know who I am voting for. They will be going with me to vote before school. Also when my sister got to vote for the first time, in the primaries, we took her out to breakfast after...it was a BIG deal!!! We were so excited and she voted for Obama when me, my mom, her dad, and my grandpa (all there) voted for republicans. I may not agree but I was SO proud of her for choosing who she wanted and sticking to it!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• yes, and they frequently disagree with me! lol. But they use reasonably sound logic and critical thinking skills to do so which I appreciate- and it's more than I can say about some of the moms on cm, lol.
    athenax3

Answer by athenax3 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Tad presumptuous to assume my children do or do not attend public school, isn't it?

Actually I didn't pressume anything that is why I asked the question "your children don't go to school?" wao. you didn't have to answer my question just ignore it if you didn't like it. oh wait you didn't answer me you attacked me. thank you. sorry for wanting to clarify if your children went to school. I asked because my son was told he was a n... just like obama. and like I said if they go to school sheltering is not doing them any favors. hope attacking me made you feel better about yourself. have a great night.

Anonymous

• My girls are voting at school. They are in 2nd and 3rd grade. If you bring in cans (food drive) you get to vote for your candidate.

so what happens if the kids parents can't afford to send in food? they can't vote?
    Anonymous