What do you think was the biggest mistake your parent(s) made in raising you?

StarrMom2Xander

Asked by StarrMom2Xander at 5:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• They should have talked to me about sex and relationships and the importance of picking a good man who can not just support you emotionally, but financially, spiritually, physically. They left me to try and figure it out by myself, and I stumbled a bit along the way. My kids started getting mini talks very early.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 5:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I could write a book, but don't have the time!! They divorced when I was 6 and the 2 put me between them my whole life. Bashing each other to me, etc. Also, they exposed me to things I should never have seen at a young age. Messes up a kid. They also both lie about what happened (divorce) and have lied to their respective spouses. Don't put your kids in the middle of your crap. Be the parent and let them form their own opinion. Divorce doesn't mean you divorce the kids. You BOTH parent them.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• taking me away from my foster family my crazy mother should had left me there and my dad should had just staied gone
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My parents assumed that I was more mature in some areas than I was. As a result, I made some bad decisions because I did not have enough information to make better choices. I think a lot of it was that the world had changed so much from when they were young, and they really didn't understand that I needed more information than they had needed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My dad suffers from PTSD and social anxiety disorder, mostly as a result of his terrible childhood and his military service. He refused to believe he had a problem, and therefore never got treated. Had he gotten treated I imagine he would have been a more involved father and that would have made us closer.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My Mom wasn't able to show much affection... and I'm not either except for with my kids. I make a point to hug them, tell them how smart, beautiful and how happy they make me every day.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• The biggest mistake my parents made were blessings...they showed me exactly what I didn't want to be as a parent. Don't get me wrong my folks are great and they were merely doing what they thought was best at the time. I wasn't abused or anything but as the poster above me stated..there was little to no affection in our home...and as a result my kids and I are insanely close and huggy and cuddly. I would have changed any of it looking back..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Heres a few things i wish would ahve been different.. I wasnt encouraged, pushed enough to reach for those goals I knew were there. My father had alot of problems and refused to admit it, so we grew up in a very unstable environment. I stopped being hugged when I hit about 5 or so, never heard the words I love you from my dad....
    Anonymous

• I wished my parents would have taught me more about sex and relationships. I became a mom at 17. I don't regret having my son, but when my kids grow up I want to talk to them more about how certain choices about sex and relationships affect your life. All I can hope is that they listen to me and make good choices. I sure would have if I was talked to about it.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• They didn't talk about their experiences and didn't talk to me about mine.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2008