If your kids go to public school do your kids eat the school lunches or take their lunch?

My kiddos currently attend a private preschool a couple of days a week so they take their lunch and I'm thinking that unless they seriously improve school lunches in the next two years that they will continue to take their lunch.

The lunches I've seen at the schools are pretty appalling to me and make it pretty clear as to why so many children have weight issues.

Do your kids eat the school lunch?

miasmommy21407

Asked by miasmommy21407 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• My Ds is in High school and gets school lunch, my dd is in jr high and prefers to take her lunch. Our school lunches arent that bad.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 1:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my daughter attends a public school..k-5..and they dont even have a cafeteria..so they HAVE to bring a packed lunch!! works for me!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son eats his school lunch..and he's not overweight..I seriously think it has to do with what kids eat at home..JMO.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 1:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My kids are 18 & 16 and have always taken a lunch since pre-school and they are in high school now and even though none of their friends take a lunch they refuse to buy lunch.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 1:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• JUST WANT TO BE CLEAR...I wasn't saying all kids who eat school lunch are over-weight but I do believe that they are NOT encouraging healthy weight.

The last time I was at my brother's high school they main thing I saw on trays was crispitos covered in cheese sauce with french fries and a roll. It was all carbs and fatty proteins. There were very few veggies and the veggies I did see were in the form of little stick which means at some point whether the school did it or not they were most likely fried.
    miasmommy21407

Comment by miasmommy21407 (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I tried to make her lunch, but none of her friends brought their lunch & since she is a FOLLOWER she wouldn't. She gained so much weight from that so called FOOD!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My oldest does eat school lunches. They're just as nutritious as what I would send him with. They're not as healthy as they could be, but they're not unhealthy either. They get at least 2 veggies and 1 fruit each day in addition to the main course and a side dish.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't like most of the food at my daughter's school. They serve hamburgers, corn dogs, and chicken nuggets every day except Friday when they serve pizza. My daughter takes a lunch M-Th and she eats school lunch on Fridays because she likes the pizza. I figure a little pizza once a week isn't too bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My ds is in HS and he buys his lunch, but it is not your typical cafeteria lunch fare. They have a full salad bar, grinders (subs, hero's, etc.) and sandwiches made to order (like Subway), and a pizza parlor which is all in addition to their planned daily "hot lunch" selection. His school also only serves organic fruits and veggies that are locally grown. Another cool thing is that their fresh herbs are grown in the school's greenhouse by the students taking botany classes.

Overall It's a little more expensive than your average public school, he averages $5 per day but the quality is worth it.

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 1:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Oh.. and he is not overweight either... he's about 5' 9" and weighs 140 - 145 pounds
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 1:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2010