is insomnia inherited?

i have a 3 year old son who for some unknown reason lately REFUSES to go to sleep. i've tried just about everything i can think of to make him sleep. warm milk right before bed, laying down with him to make him comfy. the johnson/johnson bed time bath line. (i bought ALL of it) soothing music, a fan, no fan, light on, light off, a blankie, no sugar at all after 6, nothing is helping him sleep. the only thing i have not done yet is drug him. im so frusterated. i dont know whats left to try... any suggestions? i know myself and his father have both suffered from insomnia is it possible that we just passed it on to him?

flying8balls21

Asked by flying8balls21 at 1:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think its learned because my daughter doesn't have a schedule because I don't.I play with her as crazy as it sounds however we play in bed like with the pillows,wrestling or whatever.I think they just have so much energy and I don't know about you but she doesn't go to the park or anything everyday so...yeah good luck
    Manandyce

Answer by Manandyce at 5:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• him and i are on a very good schedule, and hes outside playing everyday its nice. plus he has an uncle who is a seven and a cousin who is 2 that he plays with on a daily basis. so its not like he shouldnt be tired. he just wont go to sleep. last night it was he went to bed at 4am and was back up at 8. he might be able to keep doing this... mommy cant.
    flying8balls21

Comment by flying8balls21 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Have you tried giving him a warm bath before bed? I've noticed that my daughter gets to sleep much easier after playing in the bath for 30-45 minutes.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010