Religious Tolerance

There are so many different beliefs with in America that religious tolerance is a big issue in some areas. I would like to get answers from those that are Pagan, Baptist, Mormon, any religion, and see just how tolerant we really can be of someone that may believe in different deities than another, and about tolerance in your area.

BellaKristy

Asked by BellaKristy at 1:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Well, I am Kemetic... I live in Hawaii on Oahu. We have Shinto Temples, Churchs, Buddhist Temples, one Hindu temple, synagogues, mosques, some still practice the native religions... but, it is a great mix of people here... almost like another country... so, while there is some butt heads, for the most part, the spirit of Aloha is alive and well here.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 1:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well I am pagan...and I believe that we all find different paths to the same end so other religions really dont bother me
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I believe that we all find different paths to the same end........ I couldn't have worded it better!
    BellaKristy

Comment by BellaKristy (original poster) at 5:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm an atheist living in Canada and I've also lived in Britain.  The only time I have ever experienced intolerance is here on cafemom.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:00 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I am atheist. I think what ever path makes you happy is great. Towards me I have had people threaten to call dpsand I have been physically assaulted due to lack of faith.  I am sure it was those people though and would not hold it against others because they share a faith with them.  Acting like it does not happen though can lead to more people getting bullied over it.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• How terrible, I am sorry you had to go through that! Well and I guess probably still dealing with it from time to time!
    BellaKristy

Comment by BellaKristy (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm Hindu & we believe that every religion has a path to the "divine".
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I am Christian, live in Colorado where its live and let live- I get an anti-Christian vibe here on CM. IRL I have never had an issue. I understand all have their own path.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't talk about my religious beliefs to most people in real life, so I've never personally dealt with intolerance. I've heard a lot of others state how bad it can be in the Bible Belt if you're not a protestant. I've read of Jewish families being cursed at and having trash thrown at them while walking to service on Saturdays here in Atlanta.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• For me, I really don't have a problem with organized religion, or religion in general, when it is understood that these are personal beliefs, and not necessarily shared with every member of our society. My issues are when people try to impress their beliefs on me or on others, and especially when those beliefs are insinuated into areas where they do not belong--like public policy and public schools. I would no more want to see a Christian being attacked for choosing his/her path of worship than I would want to see a Muslim, a Jew, a Pagan, or anyone else attacked for their beliefs. Places of worship need to be left alone, whether they are chapels, churches, mosques, temples or any other. Again, my only problem with religion comes when someone tries to push his or her beliefs on others.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010