My elemantary child is having trouble going to bathroom at school.

My child is 8 almost 9 but has had difficulties wiping so an odor lingers. Sometimes at home he poops his pants. I don't know what to do. Reading on line it says it can be connected to ADHD. My other child is ADHD but he doesn't show the same sympthoms. What can I do to avoid him getting embarrassed becasue his friends realize what is happening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/encopresis.html

Check this out. It may help.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you can let his teacher and the nurse know what is going on and then have him bring a change of underwear to school incase an accident happens. You can also maybe pack him those wipes for kids...there not called baby wipes but I think they are basically the same thing. Maybe he can leave that stuff in the nurses office so the other kids don't have to know about it. Poor little guy:(
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 5:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Is he having a hard time wiping or is a little bit of poop "escaping"? There is a large difference though both can look the same in his underwear.
    I agree with anonymous - check out the link for encorpresis and see if anything sounds familiar.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Make an appointment with his doctor. Google encoparesis and ask your doctor if he/she thinks this is a possibility. If so, the doctor will be able to help you, advise you. Call the school nurse tomorrow and explain the situation. For the time being, he may be able to use the nurses bathroom, keep a change of clothes and wipes for keeping himself clean. If the nurse knows you have an appointment, this should be a reasonable request until it can be resolved.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I found out that the boys room at our elementary school didn't have doors. Ask him if his has doors on the stalls. I wouldn't go in a stall with no door.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Thanks I looked up the link provided and I think it is very possible it is encoparesis. Especially since this seems to concided along with this stupid diet he choose. Since he loves milk, cheese etc.. it says to limit that. So I am taking him to dr. but also plan to talk with him about his choice in foods.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Anonymous