How to help a bed wetter?

One of my children still wets the bed. They are in the tween years and still has accidents. What are any suggestions that you may have to remedy this or help get through this time?

BellaKristy

Asked by BellaKristy at 2:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I remember a girl that did when I went to camp in the fifth grade, I also just seen an episode of Arthur on it and the character was hooked up to a machine that helped them get up to make it to the toilet.Or her doctor can give her something I'm sure.
    Manandyce

Answer by Manandyce at 6:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would take him/her to the doctor and rule out any underlying medical conditions that are causing the bed-wetting. If there are no medical problems, you can do several things to help your child. Wake him/her up in the night to go to the bathroom, limiting drinks for 2 hours or so before bed are two easy things to do. There are devices that you can buy that will alert the child to the fact that s/he has wet the bed, waking them up and thus training them to not do that. I personally would not worry about it too much if your child is under 11. It is more common than you think and most of the time, the child outgrows it.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree with cleannaturlalady.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 1:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'd take him to the Dr's. Just to be on the safe side.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree with cleannaturallady. If you eliminate any health concerns, waking them up at night after limiting the liquid intake before bet can really make a difference.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:38 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Has she been evaluated for physical constraints??
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 12:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Don't let them have drinks at least 2 hours before bed. That is sad
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:58 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Update: I have taken him to the doctor. Polycystic Kidney Disease runs heavy on his father's side of the family so that was my first move. I wonder if it's hereditary cause I was a bed wetter when I was younger too! They have tried different medicines and they didn't help and we don't have drinks after supper. The whole family doesn't so he don't feel excluded! It helps but not always successful!
    BellaKristy

Comment by BellaKristy (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Don't make any comments that may be embarrassing, because that could make it worse. They make overnite pants for larger kids that fit like underwear. Some kids wet the bed until their teens.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 4:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010