Beauty Pageants

My daughter loves pageants(except being still to get hair done). But I have not let here be in one for a while because although she was only 4 she was getting a little "sassy". She really wants to be in them again but I have reservations. Any advice, comments?!

BellaKristy

Asked by BellaKristy at 2:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• If she can behave properly and UNDERSTAND that if she gets sassy again she won't be allowed to participate in them then I guess it would be ok. I have a daughter. I will not allow her to participate in such things or even know of their existence but that is MY thing and if your little one is into this then why not let her enjoy it if you are into it too?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We do natural beauty pageants in my area. Rarely do we ever see a glitz pageant near our small town. THose I am ok with it's the glitz I don't like. Spray on tans fora 5 yr old is a lot too far for me. I know that this can be a good for her but man she is a force of her own. I just wanted to put that out because I didn't think about it earlier in my question! Thanks for the reply!
    BellaKristy

Comment by BellaKristy (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think you should just make sure she knows that to be able to participate in those activities she needs to mind you. I wasn't all for beauty pageants because I think they can hurt your child's image of themselves in the long run. I wouldn't want my child or any child to feel like they are not beautiful just because they didn't win in a beauty contest. BUT I do have a sister in law that is 14. She has competed since she was about three years old. She has won so many it isn't even funny and hasn't taken it to her head..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Treat as you would any other privilege. For other kids, they have bad behavior, they get something taken away, a favorite toy or video game. She has to understand that you won't allow sass and if she continues, pageants are out. I also don't have a problem with baby pageants that aren't about fake teeth and hair pieces. I put my son in a baby pageant once just for fun and we both liked it! He liked hamming it up for the judges and the trophies he received.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 24, 2010