How do I get my child to eat meat

My son stopped eating meat for no reason. He just says he doesn't like it. All he wants to eat is cereal. What can I do to insure he gets enough vitamins and protein.

can this effect his health? With limiting his diet to diary and cereal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Yes it can affect his health if all he eats is cereal and milk. I'd say limit his options, only cereal in the morning....for the other meals, eat what he's given or don't eat (he won't miss many meals before he gets hungry enough to try).
    Other ways to get protien: eggs, beans, peanut butter....
    He also needs to be getting fruits and veggies....
    Try making it a fun "project" like making "ants on a log" (celery sticks w/ peanut butter & raisins) then pretend to be ant eaters and race him to see who can eat theirs first
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• If not a toddler, but an older child, then you could look up some vegetarian kid-friendly recipes on the internet to find some other ways to get protein into him. While dairy is a good source of protein, it is not the best choice, so you will want to offer him some alternatives (beans, nuts, eggs, etc.) until he decides meats are okay again. You can even use bean flours to bake with, which would also add protein to his diet. Another choice might be to try some of the vegan "meat" substitutes from the grocery store, like "chicken" nuggets or TVP crumbles for chili & sauces. Maybe the texture of the substitutes would be more to your son's liking? Also, since he will eat cereal, some gluten-free cereals are made w/bean flours, so high protein and a good alternative to regular cereals for him. These can be found in some grocery stores and also health food stores.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• My daughters don't eat meat, but that's because we're vegetarians! Get your kiddo on some sort off little *all natural* and/or *organic* vitamins and he should be fun. ;)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2008