How to effectivly punish a child? Positve reinforcement or Negative reinforcement?

Just a question to get ideas on affective punishments that actually work long term, not just for the moment! I absolutely do not like to spank, but I have in the past! Although it was only a couple of swats it just seemed like it only worked for the moment, any other suggestions. Time out was the same! Reward charts just seemed like bribery and they didnt want to do chores without a price.

BellaKristy

Asked by BellaKristy at 2:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• depending on the age taking away things is good.like since you didn't hear me when I said to go to bed I guess you cant hear this video game either! that's how I do anyway unless they are hardheaded then I wait for them to do whatever it is that they're doing get hurt or shocked and say see all that could've been avoided had you listened the first time!

It just depends on the situation I guess
    Manandyce

Answer by Manandyce at 6:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• So nice to know I am not the only one that is like well I guess they will learn to listen when they fall or waht ever the case that's how I learned! My mom was a firm believer in that! LOL!
    BellaKristy

Comment by BellaKristy (original poster) at 6:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It all depends on the age and temperament of the child.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Whatever method you choose, you have to be patient.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it really depends on the child and the situation. For me we used time out and not just sit in a chair kind of time out. We had them stand in a corner facing the wall with their arms in the air, as they got a little older we made them do sit ups and push ups. I figured they can get a little work out when they are punished. When they were being unruly - I told them to run around the outside of the house x amount of times to release the energy. In my home we do a lot of talking, I never said No and then followed it with Because I said so, and I didn't allow anyone else to talk to my children like that either. I believe that there is always reason why we are saying either because its annoying the hell out of us or they are going to hurt themselves, its an honest answer with a request. I also treated my children like people and respected their feelings and opinions, this goes a long way, even when they are 3.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2010