At what age is best to take away a pacifier?

My youngest is 13 months and uses a pacifier. I've been told several different things 4rm pediatrcians and dentists. He's the only 1 out of my 4 kids to use a pacifier.

olivia3579

Asked by olivia3579 at 2:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In hind sight, I personally think around 12 months of age is a good time, not much later than that.
    I took my 1st daughter's pacifier away at 18 months (like I said, in hind sight @12 months) Then my 2nd daughter stopped taking hers on her own at 9 months. My 3rd child, (3 month old son), hardly takes his, but I try to give it anytime I see his thumb go to his mouth...he's trying to be a thumb-sucker & I'm trying to prevent it. I think it may be a losing battle. LOL
    (I have heard that pacifiers are good to help prevent SIDS, but can be bad for oral health when they get older if still using one.)
    harp3love

Answer by harp3love at 2:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my 2yo still uses a paci when he is extra tired or hurts himself...i'm trying like hell to take it away for good, but sometimes he just won't sleep and after i give him the paci he is out in 2 mins.

12 months is the time that most suggest weaning
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• This question is so annoying!!! Not becaus of the op but because the info out there is so CONFLICTING!!!!! I know exactly what you mean, op. The dr says one thing, the dentist says another, the baby books and magazines say another, your mom and sis say another, the paci's themselves say another and the looks on moms' faces say another. Ok so here's my 2 cents(as if you need some more) From my experience with my 2 and taking into consideration everything I've read ad been told from "the experts", the absolute latest they can get away with no teeth problems or speech problems or attatchment problems is their 2nd bday. My dd was early in her 2's when suddenly the pacis "got lost" I just played dumb and told her, "I don't know where they are,baby they went bye bye" She was ok with it after a few days and stopped asking. No meltdown. But she's always been very easy going. Your kid may be different.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• cont. And my ds who also has always been very easy going, well I just stopped giving it to him at 12 months. He too was ok with it, never even asked for it!!!! I'm torn between 1 year and 2 years giving it up. My dd has perfect teeth and her speech is actually above average for her age, she's a little chatterbox and she can say more words than most toddlers and her pronunciation is VERY good. She doesn't talk like a baby and she's 2 and a half. My ds who gave it up at 12 months has perfect teeth and no speech problems either. And by the way, letting them carry a bottle or sippy around with milk or juice in it constantly is FAR worse than an attatchment to a paci. It will cause cavaties and baby bottle mouth very quickly. My kids don't have that problem though because I don't allow them to do it to start with and I take excellent care of their teeth.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• One more thing!!!!! When i "lost" dd's pacis I put them WAY out of her sight. Out of sight, out of mind. I put them in the highest cabinet above the stove that even I can hardly reach and its up there so high I would need a chair to get them down. I didn't throw them out because I keep just about everything as a keepsake.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• As soon as you can! I waited til my son was 20months old. It has beena month and he still asks and cries for it everyday at some point. It makes it harder on the lil one if you wait to long...as I have come to find out. He is finally starting to remember that we "gave" all his binkies to the babies at daycare. Its been very hard for him and for me to hear him so upset over not having a binky.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 12mths at the latest.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We are at 13 months now and only use it at night to go to sleep. We have stopped all day time use. It never stops him from crying anyway. He can hold it between his teeth and scream to the heavens anyway. I am hoping 16 months we are completly done
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 5:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I say 12 months at the very latest. Any later and it just gets harder and harder.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My daughter is 13 months and she only uses it for nap/bedtime and for some reason she screams if she's in the car and doesn't have it....I too am hoping by 16-18 months she'll be completely done with it. A friend of mine let her DD use a paci until around 2 and now she's finally fully weened at 2 1/2 but she can't say much more than mama dada and bubba so I'm really concerned about it.
    Samie8183

Answer by Samie8183 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010