how can i get my 4yr to sleep earlier??

he dosent take naps or he wont and he stays up with a fight till 1 am what can i do??

magical_mommy

Asked by magical_mommy at 2:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ask you peditritian about a natural supplement called melatonin. My DS's DR told us about this when he just wouldn't go to bed at a reasonable hour. It's a chewable tablet that you get at GNC and give them about 15 minutes before you want them to go to sleep. When DS was smaller he called them his sleepy time meds, I called them magic!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 3:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wake him up earlier! When my kids started school (ages 7 & 4) I started by waking them up earlier in the day and keeping them busy busy all day so that they would be tired by 9pm... LOL It seemed to work for me! Good luck!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• and since I work graveyard shift and my hubby never put the kids to bed... my kids were always up until 1am
    sxc_mom_of2

• i would wake them up earlier say like 7am and have them be more active during the day maybe a sport or something and feed them early and bathe them early.i know with my kids if i follow that they pass out after the warm bath. it really works
    keta_girl

Answer by keta_girl at 4:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't know what to suggest because my daughter has her days/nights completely flipped!!!!!!!!! I'm exhausted =) My daughter is a night owl and my son is a morning person.......
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure what to suggest. I think I would start off by waking him at 7am as suggested and just take him to the park maybe and let him run and play if one is near by, if you can go to the library maybe or just do a ton of things at home. Maybe try going for a walk with him at some point or just go play outside. DS likes to play soccer and basketball outside or go for walks if we don't go to the park. He gets up at 7am, doesn't nap all day and is out by 8pm. Good luck to you I hope find something that works.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Wake him up earlier, keep him up and then put to bed when it's bed time. This works out well with my four-year-old daughter.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have tried everything from running him at the park to waking him up at 6am which is lame cause we don't have to get up til 8am around here. He is still up for over 15 hours straight! Good luck! My doc said every child is different and he may not need as much sleep.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 5:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010