7th month old nursing through the night..co-sleeper...

she use to sleep in her crib till she was about 4 months old then would wake every 20-30 minutes for boobie...nobody was getting sleep especially since she would wake my toddler up with crying. i gave in and let her co-sleep like i let my son at that age. she doesnt nurse ALL night but frequently does...is this normal? Should I brake her of this and if so how? she's going on 7 months now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes because she doesn't need the milk they just suck in their sleep my daughter is lactose so we use a bottle but she will be snoring sleep but will try to suck the bottle when I go to take it from her.so your just messing up her teeth and maybe making her overweight.My daughter is 9 mos don't worry I've been suckered before too! LOL
    Manandyce

Answer by Manandyce at 5:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. night parenting is part of the mommy gig. FYI 5 hours is considered a "sleep through" . Bathing before bed and lotions can stimulate babies not relax. be sure bed time isn't too early.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The first poster is mistaken BFed babies DO NOT get bottle rot. The breast is not a bottle. Breastfed babies rarely over eat, the breast doesn't work like a bottle. Different suckle stregths regulate let down to a degree. I tell people to remember being pregnanyt and getting hungry at odd times or even right after a big meal! Babies grow rapidly and so go through the same thing. The baby stage is very short. She is behaving as nature designed and doesn't need to be "broken". It's not a habit, its a natural state.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Babies and toddlers have always breastfed and slept with their mothers. Still do in most of the world. It's normal for children to wake at night to nurse until they are 3 or older. Breastfeeding is never a habit.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010