How can I make homeschooling a 1st grader more exciting???

We like to do arts a crafts and what about any sites available??

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 3:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in

• What state do you live in? There are a lot of homeschool programs here at our children's museum and science center, etc.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Children's museums or "discovery" museums are awesome. I took my boys (12 and 10), plus a friend and her little brother (8). We had a BLAST! We got to see how a Zamboni works, stand in a simulated hurricane, and use a wind tunnel to see how the shape of a plane's wings affect its flight.

Google home science experiments. Make gak or playdough. Go to the park and collect leaves. You can get a cheap microscope to examine them at someplace like Big Lots for about $10. Study leaves in it.

Or cut a flower and put it in colored water. See the petals change. Why does it do that?

Also, I strongly believe in applied learning, where you use one seemingly irrevelant lesson to teach multiple skills. For example, a cooking lesson can reinforce reading and math skills, plus motor coordination and in older kids, can also teach chemistry (chemical reactions in ingredients), budgeting and organization and bolster creativity.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010