Is my kid old enough for horror flix?

My 11 year old daughter loves it, but I'm not sure if she's old enough. I collect horror movies & she's been dipping into my collection. I found "Bride of Chucky", "Wrong Turn", & "Cabin Fever" in her room. These flix have strong language & sexual content. I don't know if it's where she's hitting puberty or what. I guess my question is, should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• That is kind of a personal choice you have to make. Myself, no I wouldn't allow my child to watch those. My prents let me watch that stuff when I was young and it caused a lot of problems.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• can she handle them? do they give her nightmares or does she act wierd about things that she didn't before?
    watching horror movies is a normal thing for teens- but since she's 11 I would jsut pay attention to how they are affecting her.
    My daughter liked horror around that age- BUT there were some movies that really were too much for her. She went to a friend's hous one night for a sleepover and I ended up picking her up because they were watching the newer
    Halloween movies and it was too much...also she wanted to watch The Ring around that age, and she was ok when she saw it
    so for us it just kinda depended on what it was.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i think you need to think about how old you were when you started watching these movie if you are still not sure why not try and buy her her own scary movie something a little less sexual oh and make sure she knows that they are just movies and EVERYTHING in the are fake try the house on haunted hill or maybe distrubia.....
    motherfirefly1

Answer by motherfirefly1 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The horror movies that we often watched when we were younger, and this depends on your age, didn't contain the strong language and violence that todays movies include. At her age IMO she is much too young to be exposed to this movie content.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 12:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it really depends on your child and yourself. My children watch those kinds of movies with me but I don't let them watch them by themselves. (Now if they do without my knowledge that's something different, but my children don't have tv's in their rooms, so it would only be possible when with friends.)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I cant answer this question, if my 11 yr old turned on a horror flick. I would be hiding under my bed covers
    SueM48415

Answer by SueM48415 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think that is up to you, if she's old enough to handle them and not get scared but I think some of the other content might be a bit old for her still. I would go out and buy her some that have less of the bad stuff but are still scary and she can have her own collection without getting into yours.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I say not yet because of the language among the other things mentioned.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I've bought her stuff to watch to try & quench her craving for the macabre ... things that I watched as a child as well as some more modern things.

I found my copy of "The Exorcist" in her room today.

These movies don't scare her, nor did they scare me as a child. All I can do is try & limit her exposure to the more adult ones.
    Fanged_Orchid

Answer by Fanged_Orchid at 1:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I loved those movies as a kid. I'd censor the movies she is allowed to watch - some have more sex/bad language than others. I think it's pretty normal at that age.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:27 AM on Sep. 25, 2010