Does anyone else think it's hypocritical to be pro-life and NOT be an organ donor?

i.e., an unborn baby's life is more important than the chance to save 1 (or more) lives that already are in the world, by giving up something you don't need anymore anyway?

StarrMom2Xander

Asked by StarrMom2Xander at 5:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't speak for everyone else but I am a organ donor and I am prolife. I really don't care what happens to my organs when I die because I'll be dead. I would rather help someone that will die without the necessary organ or organs than see anyone die in vain.
    jojo13

Answer by jojo13 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I am pro-life and an organ donor. I don't think the two really go together. It is like comparing apples and oranges.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I don't think it is. "pro-life" refers to abortion, when most people read it. Although from your question, I am guessing you mean something else.The best example I can think of is poeple of certain religions and denominations dont believe in giving or recieving anything from anothers body, but are totally against abortion. Not sure if that is the right answer though, good luck finding it!!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I am pro choice and I am an orgn donor, if someone else can use my organs go for it, I won't need them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• im aginst abortion but i really dont wanna ever be cut in to alive or dead
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I never looked at it that way, but I'm not against it. Like the others said, we don't need the organs when we die, and if someone else can benefit from them, I have no problem with it. Hmmm...something to talk to my family about....

I'm like the other poster and am not sure what abortion/prolife has to do with it though.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I am very pro-life, but I am unable to donate organs due to having Epstein-Barr virus (it causes chronic fatigue). Prior to using that as an excuse, I never liked the idea of my body being split up. I don't know why.... your question has me thinking, if I could, would I donate? I don't know. Personally, I love the idea of it, I just am a scaredy cat and don't think I could have it done to me. But if the shoe were on the other foot, I don't know that I'd reject someone else's organ. So I guess I have some serious thinking to do! Thanks for the eye opener. No pun intended.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I don't consider that hypocritical, I actually never even compared the two. I am both though btw.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I would have to agree it's the whole apples to oranges thing. Though I am both...I wouldn't think of it as hypocritical at all if someone wasn't...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I was shocked to learn that the families of organ donors get handed a bill for thousands of dollars for harvesting the organs. 

Kind of makes the whole concept of "organ donation" hypocritical, don't you think?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008