Saw a bumper sticker that said "get a real job, be a stay at home mom". What do you think of this sticker?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 4:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I wish I could! Dr. H
    kleolove

Answer by kleolove at 4:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• that it is funny and very true in a lot of ways but also that it could easily offend moms that work outside the home. They may be offended that the bumper sticker is implying that they don't work hard. Also, not all SAHMs work very hard. I've seen it. But as a SAHM and as a former working outside the home mom, both jobs are demanding and doesn't make you more or less of a mother either way.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:50 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Man what a job staying at home! It can be hard to do but I have been a part of both worlds. I agree with sweetloveofmine
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 5:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it is the Stay at Home Mom's way of telling society that what she does is hard work. It does diminish those who work outside the home a bit, but I don't think that is the intent.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have to respectfully disagree with you 100% CarriePM. I think that is exactly the intent of this bumper sticker. I don't know why anyone feels that their job is any harder/more important/more "real" than anyone else's. Honestly, by the definition of a job, being a SAHM does not qualify. You are not hired & you do not get paid. There is no question that it is real WORK. These are not the same thing. By no means is it easy but it is no harder than being a mom who works 40 hours a week for someone else & then goes home & maintains her household & cares for her family. There are plenty of moms in both areas who by others standards fail to meet the requirements but neither is right or wrong. There are many WOHM's who voluntarily neglect their family. There are also many SAHM's who sit on the computer all day & don't pay any attention to their children or their households. The bumper sticker is ignorant and offensive.
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I am a stay at home mom and its a hard job but I love it, my husband works full-time so it works out well i dont see anything wrong with being a stay at home mom as long as you can support your children!
    xashxleex87

Answer by xashxleex87 at 8:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would think the mom is very insecure if she needs to put a bumper sticker like that on her car.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 9:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thats hilarious!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! ppl don't relieze how hard our job really is... Wish i had my own..
    motherfirefly1

Answer by motherfirefly1 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think its clever. Not many people realize just how much work goes into staying at home. Its constant cooking and cleaning and child care, etc, etc. Although I don't believe that either working mothers or stay at home mothers are any better than the other. Both are doing what they feel is best for their family, and both staying at home and working are demanding.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think the driver is insecure about her decision, judgmental of others and probably quite lonely.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2010