Why is it that so many people have a "not so great" relationship with their MIL??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:00 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• Another reason is if you have two alpha females in the son's life, they are going to contend with each other for the "top" role. As for me, I am the TOP female in my home, no questions asked. But, I am widowed now and his mother passed away when he was much younger, so I never knew her.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't know, but mine is impossible!!!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Because a lot of MILs think no woman is good enough for her little boy and they want to be the number one woman in their son's life and want to act like theit son is still a child and is needed by his mommy and they see a wife as an interference and something to be jealous of and competition.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:25 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Because its her son which are like husbands to woman in some strange way so they don't want anyone to take that away.Juust put in work and time will make it better as well.
    Manandyce

Answer by Manandyce at 5:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What a great question cause I still dont know after 10 years!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 6:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think alot of mother in laws feel that once their son is married that they dont have a place in the sons life anymore, that their role has just been taken away from them and they are no longer the most important woman in their sons life, this doesnt necessarily have to be true there should always be space for a Mother and a wife, they are two completely different roles, many MIL's dont see that though and many DIL's dont even want to accept that the adjustment may be hard for their MIL....there are nightmare DIL's just as there are MIL's. Many MIL's may never adjust which of course is always going to cause major problems.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I couldn't tell you. My MIL passed away unicspectically (sure that isn't spelled right lol) 2 months before DH and I got married.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:50 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I loved my MIL but I'm guessing the problem with most MIL's is that they have trouble letting go of their children. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My mil can get along great as long as she isnt living with us. Although I do think she is havin severe memory loss right now.
    Alysa505

Answer by Alysa505 at 7:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2010