Do your kiddos take their lunch or do they eat school food?

Mine used to eat school lunches but now I make their lunches. I've notice they are not gaining weight like they usually do once summer is over. If you do send lunches what do you pack? What healthy items do you send? I send apples and grapes. Have you ever sent special items like a surprise brownie or cookie? Or have you put a special "I love you" note in their lunch box? I love doing that and so do the girls. It gives them a nice surpise and a reminder of you.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 5:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My ds started kindergarden this year and no way Jose does he eat the school lunch. I take his health very seriously and I'm not about to let him eat the absolute JUNK that is at the school. I think most parents do because of the conveince and just not caring to start with. I make sure he gets a complete balanced lunch each day and I pack plenty of water with it and a napkin and hand sanitizer. A typical lunch for him is : natural p.b. on 100% whole grain bread, cup of low fat organic yogurt, small box of raisins, and baby carrots with low fat ranch for dipping (he LOVES carrots). He also gets at snack time more water and usually a low fat granola bar or grapes. He likes a lot of fruits and vegetables. I change things a lot so he doesn't get bored. I don't put notes in his lunch yet because he's just starting to read small words. He is slim and trim and a very healthy weight.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• So funny thing. I started sending lunches in the beginning and quickly discovered that they weren't eating it and instead eating school lunches. They still love their water and juices though!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 5:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My two girls eat school lunch... my boy is much more picky though so he takes his lunch... it's always 2 Trix yogurts with fruit snacks, fruit juice, and a little bag of chips.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If mine were eating school lunch I would know the school loves sending "you owe me" notes  lol. I do on occasion let the girls eat breakfast cuz its a hot breakfast and not cereal.

luvmygrlz

Comment by luvmygrlz (original poster) at 5:30 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My 5 year old just started school this year. If I had to buy her lunch then I would probably have her back most days. But she doesn't pack the only time she packs is if she doesn't like what they are having. Everyone in akron schools get free lunch no matter how much you make. You can get free breakfast too which is a good thing because we would make to much for her to get free lunch
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My kids pack on the days that they don't like what the school is having. I have no idea what goes on in other schools but I work part time in the cafeteria at my kids school.........we don't have "junk" for lunch. Everyday we have a vegetable and fruit along with the main meal, yesterday it was taco's served with rice and corn. The kids also have a choice of 5 other lunches........one hot and the other 4 are cold. One of which is a salad (there are a lot of kids that get the salad!). My boys eat better when they buy the school lunch, if I pack it for them they hardly ever eat any of it.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• it just depends on my sons mood that day or if I am running late. He likes to take his lunch but the school lunches are very good at his school. They get to choose from 1 of 3 entrees and 2 of 5 sides or they can have a cold sandwich with one of the sides. I wish school lunch was like that when I was a kid! I keep money in his account just in case we don't have time to pack or he wants to eat what they are having that day. His typical packed lunch is soynut butter and jelly sandwich (my daughter is allergic to peanuts so no peanutbutter in our house) a yogurt or fruit cup, juice or milk, granola bar, and a raw fruit or veggie.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my son eats school lunch. the only time he takes his lunch is when he has a field trip then i make his lunch.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My older daughter picks days that she will buy. Usually it's 3 times a month. Their lunches are overpriced Kid's Cuisine. They aren't even made on site. They are assembled somewhere else, prepackaged, and delivered to the school. There's no alternate choice and I don't like spending $2.20 on stuff they won't eat. My 5 year old always packs her lunch because she's picky and I know she won't eat 99% of what is served.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:18 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• They pack. I pack for the most part too. I think it is healthier, cheaper, and there is nothing like food from home when you are away.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010