Future Foster Mom????

Would It be selfish of me to foster kids within the next year or so.I say that because I am only 22 with a 9 month old but I've always loved kids but not out of this body and I we just have so much love to give, she absolutely loves kids but we are our immediate family, i wonder about it being enough I guess.

Manandyce

Asked by Manandyce at 6:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Adoption

• If it something you really believe in doing I don't see why you can't start looking into it. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• There is no reason not to if that is what you are passionate about.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Most states you have to be 25 to foster parent. My sister is checking into it now, she just turned 25. At your age you can check into CASA, it is a volunteer program that advocates for foster kids in the system. Call your local Social Services and inquire about it, it owuld be good for you because you can start getting used to how FP works.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:00 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If it's in your heart to do so, talk to your local agency and find out more about it. I know our Foster system needs loving, stable homes.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I actually think you have to be 23 or 24 (at least it was 24 in the state we just moved from, I think - I've been looking into it myself), but I think fostering is a beautiful thing. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Adoption_and_Foster_Care/Get_Started/requirements.asp

If you're in Tx (profile), you can foster at 21, however, I'd advise you to get the materials & go thru the training before you make a commitment. Your child's first few year's bonding with you is something you can't do over. Once you commit to this, your life will change dramatically, in good ways & negative ways. Your child is not going to have a "voice" quite literally for another couple of years. My own opinion is to not foster children older than your child, but others have done it & it works for them. There's a lot involved. It can be a huge blessing and a very rewarding experience. Whether you choose to do it now or wait, the information will change you. It's amazing. Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think there's absolutely no reason not to go through the training and then give it a try.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010