My son is 4 1/2 and he has been potty trained, but lately he has been peeing in his pants, why? Should I take I take him to see a doctor. I have asked him if I it hurts to pee or if he needs to pee all the time, and he says no. What is the deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was hoping someone had answwered because my almost 4 yr old is having the same problem. It's not daily but seems more likely when she's playing and doesn't want to stop to go to the bathroom.
    Like you, I worry about it being a health problem like infection or maybe even diabetes since it's on both sides of our family.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My son did the same thing at that age, and he's 6 and still does it from time to time. Is he playing or busy most of the times it happens? My son always told me he "couldn't" stop what he was doing to go to the bathroom. We started punishing him when he would have an accident while playing or watching TV b/c we felt it was just him not wanting to leave what he was doing to go to the bathroom. Try to notice when he does it. I don't think I would worry about it being a health issue unless he just couldn't help it anytime.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 6:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Along with the answer above which I also have experienced with one of mine there may be something else. Changes in routines can sometimes caused this type of behavior, or if the child is experiencing a problem. When my son was in school he started wetting the bed at night, I found out he was being bullied on the bus. If indeed it is that the child is too busy playing or watching TV, try reminding them that they need to use the bathroom. If the child is caught up in the TV try waiting to a commercial which will lessen any anxiety. I do not think this warrants punishment at this time the child is only four. I agree with the other poster that a trip to the doctor is warranted only if there is pain or blood in the urine.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 6:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Thanks for asking this question. I have twin boys who are four one of my boys gets so involved in playing he just will pee his pants and continue playing. He also wets his bed at night. My husband now wakes him up at 4am to take him pee. No more night time accidents but as for day time accidents it still going on.  I think it's just being lazy but I did make an appointment with his pediatrician to him checked out just in case.  Good Luck to you

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• maybe it is b/c he is afraid to go to the bathroom by himself now.. dont punish him for it just try to make sure it isnt jsut him being "lazy", i once knew of a child who was anal retentive and will not go to the bathroom by herself and actually peed on her own bedroom  floor, adn punishment only made it worse, so i would call his pede.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Take him to the doc just to make sure it is behavioral
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• is he peeing in his pants while playing? cause most often children dont want to miss out on playing and so puts off peeing until its too late.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2008