Worldwide Day of Play Why do you have a problem with Michele Obama supporting it this year?

Worldwide Day of Play is an annual event designed to encourage kids and parents to turn off the television and play, especially outdoors. The yearly event officially began on all US Nickelodeon channels: Nickelodeon, Noggin (now Nick Jr.), The N (now TeenNick), and NickToons on October 2, 2004.
Worldwide Day of Play
By the Governor of the State of Alabama
A Proclamation
September 19, 2007
WHEREAS, the citizens of Alabama join Nickelodeon, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America in celebrating the Worldwide Day of Play ensuring that today’s generation of kids will become one of the healthiest; and
WHEREAS, the Worldwide Day of Play is an entire day dedicated to being active and healthy living, which encourages kids and their families to enjoy a full day of exercise and fun in their communities; and

Rnurse

Asked by Rnurse at 7:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Great idea. One day isn't really gonna do it though. Many people don't realize that if you turn off the TV, the kids might whine for a while, but they eventually go find something to do.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Don't have a problem, my kids play outside everyday.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:49 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't have a problem with Michelle Obama supporting it. I support it and I am a way more important figure in my kids lives than any FLOTUS has been or ever will be. My kids play outside (when weather cooperates and even sometimes when it doesn't). I have to say, while it's a worthy cause, those that are determined to keep the TV as a babysitter for their kids will just find something else for them to watch, like put on a movie or two. It's a shame, but I am sure it will happen on a larger scale than we realize (no pun intended).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't have a problem. I did not have a problem three years ago when then Noggin blacked out for a few hours. I thought it was a good thing since there are parents who do plop their kids in front of the television all day and the kids never go outside or do anything but watch TV. My nephew was like that. Now he doesn't want to go outside. He plays video games all day and has gained 15 lbs in the past year.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:22 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't have a problem with her supporting this, it's really no different than Schwarzenegger leading the battle cry for the "Presidential Fitness" campaign that has been in schools for many years.

I DO have a problem with some of her other platforms - but this one is actually a good thing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• ALABAMA, huh? well, i'm guessing a lot of those parents will be watching the ball game (GO HOGS BEAT 'BAMA!!), anyway.
    i don't know why anyone would have a problem..unless they just dislike MO.

we've got soccer games on saturdays, so i'm not too worried about nickelodean or any other oft-watched tv channel.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, I don't. In fact I didn't know anything about it and I don't care.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Who has a problem with it?
    Some people do not look at the whole they just see Obama or democrat and are against it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I see no issue. It's a wonderful event and every state should support it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Started in 2004 and yet childhood obesity is even MORE of a problem... I think you have pointed out yet another example of these government declarations on how to do the obvious DO NOT work... Let me re-phrase what I said earlier about this topic. Ignorant is the parent who needs ANYONE from the government to tell them to turn off the tv and play with their child... The Death of Common Sense...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 24, 2010