how do you tell family not to come after the baby is born?

Okay...I know that sounded awful but here's why it was just suppose to be the adults comingmy MIL and FIL now they want to bring their 3 young kids I know its hard to find a sitter but the also have adult children that can watch them for the 2 days (we are in a diff state not that far though) the kids always are sick w a cold and runny nose bc they are around babysitting kids I'm getting paranoid our new baby will get sick and I just saw a thing how a baby died in 2 days from pertusis bc it was just born.I know I shouldn't read too much into stories like this but she is our 6th baby 2nd living and I don't want to take chance( the others lost to mc not illness

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would just tell them that for the first several weeks, you don't want any visitors.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, That is a tough one. Are you talking about in the hospital visiting? If so then there may be an issue any way. Most hospitals don't allow children under the age of 13 to visit in the rooms. If you are talking about in the home then I would just let them know about your concerns and that if the kids are starting to get sick you would rather they come later when they are well. Or say nothing and if they seem sick to you then ask them to please look but not touch or get in the baby's face and to wash their hands frequently. Are you planning on breast feeding? If so then that is going to help the baby's immune system out to. I understand your concern but at the same time this is your family and they want to be with you and the baby. You can always set the rules if they bring them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Its simple you just tell them, I told everyone before my dd was born that I didnt want any company that I wanted to be alone with my dd and my husband for a few days my dd was in the nicu the first 3mnths of her life so everyone really really wanted to see her..Im sure i came across a little ugly but everyone respected my wishes..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would simply say, that we wanted some time alone to enjoy our new addition to the family! And that while I would love it if they could come a little later, I really was not ready for any guests to stay over during that time.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just tell them that you don't want visiters for a while and that you will let them know when ur ready for them to come over
    xashxleex87

Answer by xashxleex87 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you don't want visitors at the hospital you can tell your doctor and the nurses that, and they will enforce it. For at home I would say something like "I know you are all excited to see the new baby, but I hope you understand that the 1st few weeks I am not going to feel up to having company, and with new babies being susepctible to germs, we are asking everyone to stay away-- for now. When we get more settled and the baby is a bit older we will be more than ready for company and we will set up a time for you to come and visit us".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:18 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• in the hospital the nurses will help you...just tell them how you feel and let them be the bad guys...it part of their job to protect the babies...personally, i had no idea i would feel the way i did about visitors and company....i didnt want any of it!! i wanted my baby all to myself to bond and get to know her...once your baby is here you may find it much easier to be firm and simply say no visitors or drop-bys right now, we will let you know when we are ready....i did...i actually had to tell my g-ma that and never in a million years would have had the guts to do it before ...if i were you tho i would be firm in the 'rule' and would make it 'family-wide', meaning no-one visits, not just SOME people....GL!!! and dont let yourself feel guilty about it....youre doing whats best for your baby : ) oh, and im SO SORRY to hear about your losses : (
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just give it to them straight. The same way you told us
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Tell them this time of year, the hospital doesn't allow children to visit unless because of flu season. Or just make your husband tell them.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010